Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you decide how many kids you would have?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 1:48 AM
  • 50 Replies

When I was younger, I swore I'd never have kids...

Then I had my first. And I was in love. I swore just one was perfect and completed our family.

But now... we are TTC #2, lol. And I am SO excited. We were at the beach one day and saw all these families around us. We were having a great time and I realized it would just add to everything if we exanded our family. And then I thought about my childhood growing up and I had such a great time with my siblings (and still do!).

So now, even before we have #2, I'm thinking 3 would be perfect. :)

How did you decide how many kids you would have?

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this

DH comes from 3 and I come from 4.  I always knew that 1 wasn't an option and 4+ seems like too many so we've just always known we were going to have 3. 

We had our son in 2006 and then our daughter in 2009.  She is lovingly referred to as "birth control" cuz she's fiesty.  We knew we were going to wait until she was older before trying for #3 and then when it came time, it was actually a tough decision because she was 4, our son was 6 1/2, we had 1 boy and 1 girl, they were both in school (Mommy has 4 glorious mornings ALONE) and we had been out of "baby mode" for so long we weren't sure we were ready to start over.  However, once we got to the month we were going to start ttc, it all just felt right.  I'm currently 22w4d pg with #3 and think our family is complete BUT I'm only 34 so I reserve the right to lose my mind in 5 years and go for #4!!!!!

tabby21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

i came from a family with 3 kids and hubby from 2 and i refused to have more than 2 i decided that when i was growing up...now i am having my second and i dont think i could handle more than 2 so im done!

Elayna90
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:07 AM
1 mom liked this
We are expecting our fourth. Both of us have several step and half siblings but were raised as only children. We knew we wanted 3 for sure but we aren't sure exactly how many. I am thinking we will be done after this one. The thought of four seems wonderful to me but adding any more, especially now that my older ones are in activities, we are much busier and I have my hands full. I don't know though. When I was pregnant with my third, I said I was done then too. Lol
turnergrace
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Aww Congratulations! :)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

DH comes from 3 and I come from 4.  I always knew that 1 wasn't an option and 4+ seems like too many so we've just always known we were going to have 3. 

We had our son in 2006 and then our daughter in 2009.  She is lovingly referred to as "birth control" cuz she's fiesty.  We knew we were going to wait until she was older before trying for #3 and then when it came time, it was actually a tough decision because she was 4, our son was 6 1/2, we had 1 boy and 1 girl, they were both in school (Mommy has 4 glorious mornings ALONE) and we had been out of "baby mode" for so long we weren't sure we were ready to start over.  However, once we got to the month we were going to start ttc, it all just felt right.  I'm currently 22w4d pg with #3 and think our family is complete BUT I'm only 34 so I reserve the right to lose my mind in 5 years and go for #4!!!!!

turnergrace
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Haha! I've definitely thought that before.. Congratulations!!

Quoting tabby21:

i came from a family with 3 kids and hubby from 2 and i refused to have more than 2 i decided that when i was growing up...now i am having my second and i dont think i could handle more than 2 so im done!

turnergrace
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Congratulations!! I fear I will be the same way lol

Quoting Elayna90: We are expecting our fourth. Both of us have several step and half siblings but were raised as only children. We knew we wanted 3 for sure but we aren't sure exactly how many. I am thinking we will be done after this one. The thought of four seems wonderful to me but adding any more, especially now that my older ones are in activities, we are much busier and I have my hands full. I don't know though. When I was pregnant with my third, I said I was done then too. Lol

Elayna90
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Lol. Nothing wrong with having a big family. :) and you would be suprised by how much you can handle. I expected to be completely overwhelmed with 3 but instead, it's just a good kind of crazy.
I never wanted kids growing up. Until I had one. Turns out, I'm good at being a mom and love it.

Quoting turnergrace:

Congratulations!! I fear I will be the same way lol

Quoting Elayna90: We are expecting our fourth. Both of us have several step and half siblings but were raised as only children. We knew we wanted 3 for sure but we aren't sure exactly how many. I am thinking we will be done after this one. The thought of four seems wonderful to me but adding any more, especially now that my older ones are in activities, we are much busier and I have my hands full. I don't know though. When I was pregnant with my third, I said I was done then too. Lol

Crazzzytega
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:42 AM
After we had #3 i thought i was done then 10yrs later i get prego and when we were finally having a boy i said ok now we r completely done well then he ended up having a heart defect and passed away at 6weeks then i said no way we r having anymore no way! Well here we are 2yrs later and im prego again we were not "trying" but we also werent preventing it im having a girl and dd#2 & dd#3 are 2yrs apart and r best friends i would love to have this lil girl have a sibling that she can be best friends with also so i know we will try for 1more but if it doesnt happen within a 1-1 1/2 yrs we will be done
samsanders
by Samantha on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:32 AM
I've just always wanted a bigger family. No more than four unless we change our minds ;-) I'm just leaving the door open to anything.
treysmom9706
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:40 AM
I was good with one. Then we had dd and I felt complete with two, one boy and one girl. Well we are now 13 weeks with #3 and 4 unexpectedly, I'd say we are completely done after this :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured