Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

UPDATE IN REPLIES**Advice Please??? Question about EPO.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM
  • 17 Replies
I'm 37 weeks 2 days. I've been stuck at 1.5 cm and 70% effaced for 3 weeks now. I bought some EPO (evening primrose oil) capsules today to try and help soften my cervix some more and help w dilation. I bought the 1000 mg capsules since that's all they had. I am wondering how much should I take? Anyone have experience w this? I've tried calling my Midwife but have had no luck reaching her today. Fridays are busy at the clinic I go to. And if you did use EPO before did it help w dilation and effacement for you?
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyfish0511
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM
BUMP
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump! Maybe add that its a question about EPO to the title. I am planning to try it as well so I would like to know how others have used it too :)
babyfish0511
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Thank you!! I will do that :) I took one capsule orally at lunch. I just don't want to take too much, lol.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro: Bump! Maybe add that its a question about EPO to the title. I am planning to try it as well so I would like to know how others have used it too :)
babyfish0511
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:47 PM
Bump!!
KelliansMom
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
A lot of what I have rad so far says to take orally starting at 36 weeks, nothing said what the max or min was to take. And then starting at 38 weeks or so the. You insert it vaginally, they make ones just for that or they are breaking the capsule to do so. Also most of what I read says it doesn't induce labor per at just helps soften the cervix. I'm still doing more reading about it though. Maybe someone else can provide more information.
babyfish0511
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Thank you. Yeah, it won't start labor but it would be nice to be a little more effaced and dilated if possible when labor does start. I've Googled and haven't found anything on a set dosage either. It'll be Monday before I can call the clinic again to try and speak w someone about it.

Quoting KelliansMom: A lot of what I have rad so far says to take orally starting at 36 weeks, nothing said what the max or min was to take. And then starting at 38 weeks or so the. You insert it vaginally, they make ones just for that or they are breaking the capsule to do so. Also most of what I read says it doesn't induce labor per at just helps soften the cervix. I'm still doing more reading about it though. Maybe someone else can provide more information.
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

The only pregnancy I used it in I ended up in labor on and off for 4 days before finally having my baby.  Needless to say, I'm not a fan, LOL.

babyfish0511
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Lol!! I've been in pronominal labor for three weeks now so I Know your pain. I spoke with a friend who used EPO so I just did what she did. Two orally and one vaginally. Here's to hoping it makes some changes. :)

Quoting Heather2001:

The only pregnancy I used it in I ended up in labor on and off for 4 days before finally having my baby.  Needless to say, I'm not a fan, LOL.

AmeliaLilac
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I used it. I ended up going overdue and being induced but my labour was only a few hours and was fairly easy in terms of how labour goes. I do think it helped my cervix prepare but didn't help dilation.
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Why do you feel "stuck"?    It might be another month yet before you/baby are Ready for birth.
Are you having complications?
Have you tried (spinningbabies.com) optimal fetal positioning to help with the prodromal labor? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)