Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Vaginal exams? Do you want them?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:58 AM
  • 43 Replies
2 moms liked this

A lot of us avoid getting our cervix checked, decline offers (if any).
Others have it routinely.    
It is totally optional.
Do you know what the info means?

*I think it's important to appreciate that vaginal exams are for entertainment purposes only.     
   It doesn't tell you anything use-able, anything certain.    
(Unless maybe you're dealing with preterm laboring.)

If you are curious and able to not take the info to heart, great!
But beware, if you find you are/aren't dilating?    Then what?   ~~what will that do? (in your mind)

Maybe you'll wonder-worry-question ?
It does tend to do this, it's tricky (emotionally).

Moms can dilate from 0 to 10 centimeters in an hour --or go from 0 to 10 cms (stepping up, gradually) over several weeks, months.
    *Eventually, mom will be Complete (at 10 cms... ).

• Vaginal exams are not a reliable way to predict when labor will begin. Labor normally begins when the baby is ready and a wonderful cocktail of hormones begin to release.

• A woman may become discouraged by multiple exams and mindless comments such as, “you are only __cm”. Labor then can stall giving way to interventions that often end in cesarean.

• Vaginal exams increase the risk of infection by bringing bacteria towards the cervix, even when done carefully and especially after the release of the membranes.

• Vaginal exams are particularly painful during contractions and disrupt a woman’s concentration.

Here is a bit about it:

The Myth of a Vaginal Exam

Cervical Check in Labor

CERVICAL EXAMS: WHO NEEDS THEM?

http://www.womanswisdom.info/vagexams.pdf

From http://sites.google.com/site/ultimatebirthplan/definitions:
Minimal Vaginal Exams during labor not only decreases the risk of infection, it also is less invasive; and vaginal exams can be painful.  You have the right to ask for a vaginal exam, and you also have the right to refuse a vaginal exam (unless there is a complication such as a prolapsed cord)

How to Check Dilation with out a Vaginal Exam:
http://womantowomancbe.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/checking-dilation-without-a-vaginal-exam/

Birth proceeds in a spiral fashion:
labor starts, stops and starts, while the baby goes down, up and down,
and the cervix opens, closes and opens. Nature has no design for
failure; she holds her own meaning for success. 
- Sher Willis

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much for this helpful info!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_Natural
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for this! I was a little surprised when at my last appointment my OB said hed start cervix checks at 36 weeks. (I am only 27 weeks now). The weird thing is I have to have a csection so I don't understand why he would want to even bother with cervix checks! I wanted my csection to be at 40 weeks, but I could only talk him into 39 and a half. I hope cervix checks aren't his attempt to section me earlier, I want baby in as long as possible.
KelliansMom
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My last ob started them at 36 weeks and I didn't decline them. I'm at a new office now with new midwives and doctors. I'm not sure if or when they do them. And I'm still insure if I will allow it.
Chaos1229
by Tasha on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I've decided to decline them this pregnancy.
CDW75
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for sharing. I needed this info.
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I've declined the last 3 checks. I will decline them for the most part. I think I'm ok with 1 when I get to the hospital in labor so they know how far along I am. I have fast labors and I like them to understand that once I get to 5 or so I only have about an hour until baby is born. I don't really want any other checks until I feel like pushing. I don't see the point.
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I normally just go with what the OB says. She's very minimalist with interventions, so there wasn't a lot of vaginal exams or cervical checking being done with my last two with her.

Proud-USMC-Wife
by Ashley on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

You know you are fully dialated when you get the urge to bear down! I remember getting that urge as well as shivers even though I wasn't cold

staciexo
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it hard to decline because i am just curious, but with my last my midwife didnt offer until i was in labor and that was fine with me! She checked me once to find out i was in active labor at 6cm and that was it!

mommytosixboys
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 3:23 AM
I don't see no point in it since I'm having a c section but on Thursday at my 36w appt my doc did check my cervix without asking me first but he did say it was fully closed but I didn't understand why check my cervix if I'm having a c section anyways just a waste of time
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN