Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

doulas and placenta encapsulation

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:22 AM
  • 22 Replies
Where do you find doulas? I have been doing research and have decided a doula will be an excellent addition to my birth experience, especially since I may be doing this alone since hubby may have to stay with the littles. I plan to not do hep vaccine, and vit k drops instead of the shot, and have a drug free birth, so I think it may be a good idea to have an advocate.
Also, has any one ever done an encapsulation of thw placenta previously? How expensive and complicated is it?
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:29 AM
I have been trying to find that same info out myself! I have never had either but I'm thinking of doing both this time! It's my 5th & final I really want to make the most of it.
SouthernSweetT
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM
That's why im doing the same! This is my third and final baby :)

Quoting Mammacra: I have been trying to find that same info out myself! I have never had either but I'm thinking of doing both this time! It's my 5th & final I really want to make the most of it.
Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM
In my area there's local Facebook resale sites lots of mom ask questions on it too. I just posted asking & got 10 replies in less than 5 min you may want to try Facebook?

Quoting SouthernSweetT: That's why im doing the same! This is my third and final baby :)

Quoting Mammacra: I have been trying to find that same info out myself! I have never had either but I'm thinking of doing both this time! It's my 5th & final I really want to make the most of it.
CutieCrab
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM

You could do like a birthing center or home birththen they can all be in the room with you.

I have not done the placenta encapulation, but I am considering it.

TippyD
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM

i found my doula through the local mommy groups. she was recommended by several, including a friend who said "due to her beliefs, I wouldnt use her, but I think she would be a good fit for you!" *my doula is a Christian, my friend is an athiest.. and my friend was right, both my husband and I clicked with our doula immediately:) My husband fell in love with her the second she rode up on a harley:D Lol..

SouthernSweetT
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:01 AM
We have high risk pregnancies and deliveries so we are going to the birth center connected to the hospital and NICU. We have a three people limit other than essential personel.
Id love a home birth if I could

Quoting CutieCrab:

You could do like a birthing center or home birththen they can all be in the room with you.

CutieCrab
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM

That is awesome the birthing center is connected to the hospital. :)

Quoting SouthernSweetT: We have high risk pregnancies and deliveries so we are going to the birth center connected to the hospital and NICU. We have a three people limit other than essential personel.
Id love a home birth if I could

Quoting CutieCrab:

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Want to locate a doula??

You can scan through:

http://dona.org/

www.findadoula.com

www.alldoulas.com

www.doulanetwork.com

www.maternitywise.com

http://www.bellywomen.net/

http://www.cappa.net

Childbirth International

Mothering.com Forums - Tribal area

even craigslist!

Even ask local midwives/prenatal yoga teachers/birth class teachers... I always see business cards on coffee shop boards, too!

Questions to Ask a Doula
The following questions will help you decide if a particular doula is right for you. 

For any doula:
What training have you had? (If a doula is certified, you might consider checking with the organization.)Do you have one or more backup doulas for times when you are not available? 
May we meet her/them?
What is your fee, what does it include, and what are your refund policies? 

When interviewing a birth doula:
Tell me/us about your philosophy about childbirth and supporting women and their partners through labor.
May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play in supporting me/us through childbirth?
May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?
When do you try to join women in labor? 
Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
Do you meet with me/us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions? 

When interviewing a postpartum doula:
Tell me about your experience as a postpartum doula.
What is your philosophy about parenting and supporting women and their families during postpartum?
May we meet to discuss our needs and the role you will play?

What different types of services do you offer?
When do your services begin postpartum?
What is your experience in breast-feeding support?
Have you had a criminal background check, a recent TB test?
Do you have current CPR certification?

You may want to interview more than one doula to find the right one for you.

SouthernSweetT
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much!!!

Quoting doulala:

Want to locate a doula??

You can scan through:

http://dona.org/

www.findadoula.com

www.alldoulas.com

www.doulanetwork.com

www.maternitywise.com

http://www.bellywomen.net/

http://www.cappa.net

Childbirth International

Mothering.com Forums - Tribal area

even craigslist!

Even ask local midwives/prenatal yoga teachers/birth class teachers... I always see business cards on coffee shop boards, too!

Questions to Ask a Doula
The following questions will help you decide if a particular doula is right for you. 

For any doula:
What training have you had? (If a doula is certified, you might consider checking with the organization.)Do you have one or more backup doulas for times when you are not available? 
May we meet her/them?
What is your fee, what does it include, and what are your refund policies? 

When interviewing a birth doula:
Tell me/us about your philosophy about childbirth and supporting women and their partners through labor.
May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play in supporting me/us through childbirth?
May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?
When do you try to join women in labor? 
Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
Do you meet with me/us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions? 

When interviewing a postpartum doula:
Tell me about your experience as a postpartum doula.
What is your philosophy about parenting and supporting women and their families during postpartum?
May we meet to discuss our needs and the role you will play?

What different types of services do you offer?
When do your services begin postpartum?
What is your experience in breast-feeding support?
Have you had a criminal background check, a recent TB test?
Do you have current CPR certification?

You may want to interview more than one doula to find the right one for you.

srm8824
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

^ there are some great resources!

I didn't encapsulate last time but I will this time. There is a place that does it for about $250-$300 bucks. I am going to attempt to learn to do it on my own though.

Also, yes, it's a very good idea to get a doula for labor and delivery. I had one last time and plan to get one again... I was alone with my first (in a hospital) and my doula was amazing.

There is a natural birth & parenting board you may find beneficial, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)