Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Choosing to wait to announce pregnancy

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:14 PM
  • 26 Replies
Hi, I am choosing to wait to announce my pregnancy to family and friends preferable for as long as possible. At least until the first trimester is over but hopefully up until 18-20 weeks if I'm not showing yet. I just don't feel comfortable sharing the news. My husband and I are very excited and content keeping the news to ourselves because were not close with our families.
Question: what do I tell people when they ask why we waited so long to share the news? I would like to be polite and tactful... Without making it OBVIOUS that we just didn't care to share with our families because we don't really like them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
markswife03
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:54 PM
I don't know. Maybe they won't even ask. I typically wait a while to announce my pregnancies, and no one has ever asked why.
Mrswalker2012
by Erica on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I waited until my anatomy scan except for a few close members like our parents. It was my decision plain and simple. I honestly wasn't going to say anything until I had her but decided to make a post on fb. They can't get mad at you for waiting, they aren't the ones pregnant.
Limegreenlemon7
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Hopefully! I'm just worried that my mother will ask why -_-

Quoting markswife03: I don't know. Maybe they won't even ask. I typically wait a while to announce my pregnancies, and no one has ever asked why.
Lovemybabies729
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi! congrats ! If they ask just let them know that you wanted to make sure that everything was ok before you decided to tell everyone. Im sure they would understand.

Limegreenlemon7
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I like the way you put that. I wanted to avoid using the words "miscarriage risk".

Quoting Lovemybabies729:

Hi! congrats ! If they ask just let them know that you wanted to make sure that everything was ok before you decided to tell everyone. Im sure they would understand.

azn_ladie82
by Melissa on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Honesty. Lol! "We don't like you, that's why". If they don't ask, eh..I wouldn't worry about it. They're obviously not that caring to begin with anyway. When you announce a pregnancy,  people should be happy and if they aren't the type to be happy around you guys..what's the point? You could always say that you were waiting til everything looked okay with the baby before you said anything.

CheesyKitty
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM
That you wanted to know boy or girl first. I doubt they will ask though.
iamcafemom83
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Just what I was going to suggest:) tell them you wanted to know the gender first.if you're not finding out, tell them you just wanted to be really in the clear.

Quoting CheesyKitty: That you wanted to know boy or girl first. I doubt they will ask though.
kiwilime
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Waiting until after the first trimester is completely normal and no one would question you waiting until then.  If you wait longer say you were hoping to be able to tell everyone what you were having when you announced you were pregnant.

BellaMama7
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Congratulations, you could just say that you were waiting until you and your dh found out the gender, and or to make sure all health was good.. is this your first pregnancy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)