Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Pregnancy Challenge Day 2: Healthy Foods! BONUS DAY - WIN a CafeMom Coffee Mug!

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:40 AM
  • 64 Replies

Healthy Pregnancy Challenge Day 2: Healthy Foods

• Are you eating healthy during your pregnancy?
  • What what types of healthy foods are you eating?
  • Share some tips on making healthy food choices!
  • If your little one has already arrived, share some of the healthy food choices you made during your pregnancy!

shoppingHere are some quick tips on healthy eating during pregnancy:

• Vegetables, fruits, proteins, and lots of water are all musts for pregnant women who want to eat healthily
  • Moms' favorite healthy snacks include nuts, yogurt with granola, watermelon, cheese, and vegetables with hummus
  • Look for foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids and iron, such as walnuts, salmon, spinach, and other dark green vegetables
  • Make sure you consult with your doctor or midwife if you have any questions about your diet or whether you are getting enough nutrients

Making sure you get a balanced diet during pregnancy is one of the best things you can do to ensure a healthy pregnancy.

One member who replies to this post will be chosen at random to WIN a CafeMom Coffee Mug!

One member who signs up for our Healthy Pregnancy Challenge and replies to our daily challenge posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!
Join our Healthy Pregnancy Challenge! WIN a $25 gift card and lots of other PRIZES! 
If you missed yesterday's you can find it here: 
Healthy Pregnancy Challenge Day 1: Prenatal Vitamins! 

The Giveaway Rules:

The Healthy Pregnancy Challenge Giveaway starts 1/9/2014 at 7am (ET) and ends 1/31/2014 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom Coffee Mug.
The random drawing shall occur on or about 2/15/14. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CowgirlSoldier
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I love to sneak my greens & veggies in through smoothies.  I use almond milk which is full of protein and flavor. Using fresh fruits and frozen bananas & ice cubes. This will help you get a nourishing drink and you get all the benefits of healthy fruits & vegetables! 

My favorite greens to add are kale and spinach. 

My favorite fruits to add are frozen bananas or frozen pineapple.

iamnameless
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I eat the same way i do when not pregnant just more. I do drink more water.
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Whole eggs are one of the best things to eat while pregnant.  They have tons of protein and certain nutrients that are hard to get elsewhere. 

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I normally try to eat healthy pregnant or not. I love yogurt, fruit smoothies, fresh fruits and veggies to snack on, and definitely crave foods high in protein like eggs, yogurt, meats, and fish. I will say, when not pregnant I know I don't drink enough water, but since the pregnancy I've been drinking water like a crazy person. lol Going from 3 glasses a week of water to 5-6 glasses a day! It's funny how completely pregnancy takes over. (:

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Ooh, I haven't tried frozen bananas. I always do fresh fruit smoothies with yogurt and ice. That sounds really good, though. I also made the kids frozen yogurt bites last week, it turned out really well, and the kids loved them!

Quoting CowgirlSoldier:

I love to sneak my greens & veggies in through smoothies.  I use almond milk which is full of protein and flavor. Using fresh fruits and frozen bananas & ice cubes. This will help you get a nourishing drink and you get all the benefits of healthy fruits & vegetables! 

My favorite greens to add are kale and spinach. 

My favorite fruits to add are frozen bananas or frozen pineapple.

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM
I'm still eating what I ate before getting pregnant. I have added more salads though just to get more greens in. And when I'm craving something sweet I eat fruit or dark chocolate but I have it portioned out all ready in the freezer. So no over eating :)
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Since I am *constantly* hungry, I pick foods that tend to have more protein. It usually helps me not be hungry right away haha when I was having meat aversions, I ate a lot of avocados, eggs and peanut butter.
If I end up getting take out or dining out, I am sure to skip the fried foods and add in veggies instead. I had a craving for a burger the other day. I gave in, but got a salad with it instead of fries. This is my rule!
I drink lots of water. It is so good for you!
CutieCrab
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I am drinking more water.

Stopped drinking caffeinated drinks.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM
I'm eating clean and focussing on low glycemic carbs, reduced my caffeine intake which is difficult since I work nights.
bamamommy2009
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I enjoy eating brocolii with cheese,asparagus with some sea salt and light butter, i enjoy a fruit as my breakfast-banana,orange,apple, pear, or plum that is the best way to start the day:)

I ahve cut out most of my sodas and replaced them with milk, water or fruit juice {that one was a toughy but its my goal this Year} and so far doing ok with it:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured