Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Older children in delivery room

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM
  • 19 Replies

My DD who will be 11 when the baby is born and has said she wants to be in the delivery room.  We will have my SO's mom there also so if she doesn't want be in there she has someone who can look after her. 

Has anyone had their older children in the delivery room with them?  How did it work out?

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamasgotthis817
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
My girls are nine and six and I'm having a csection so this isn't an option for me. Since she is 11 and you have someone there for her if she feels uncomfortable or changes her mind.. I think it's wonderful! Sounds like you've planned it out well :)
JustDG
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter was 15 when I had my youngest and she was in the room the whole time...mostly played on her phone, ate and watched a movie waiting for the "actual" go time...but she is happy that she was in there and the two girls are close as can be given their huge age difference.  IK Mine is a little older, but if she is mature enough, and you talk to her about it beforehand, Id let her be in there.  Just make sure you pack some things for her to do while you are in that waiting period. (I also made sure I had change for the vending machines so that she wouldnt have to bug me for $ to get snacks)

babydsmommy18
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are alot younger but I had them with me and Dh when I had our  8 month old. We did not plan on having them with us It just happened that way.My dd came so fast my mom didn't have the time to drive the hour to watch them. Theydid fine they sat on a big couch in the room and read a book. Theyare 5,4 and 3. My water broke at home at 6:20 and DD was born at 7:13 so they didn't have to wait long either.

Carolynishappy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I also am having a c-section so that is not an option for me. But I will have my 9 y/o DS there of course but just like with my parents and boyfriend he will have to wait until I am out of surgery until he can see me and the baby.

*^*Carolyn*^* 

fluffball80
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I didn't think about change for vending machines.  Thanks for suggesting that.

Quoting JustDG:

My daughter was 15 when I had my youngest and she was in the room the whole time...mostly played on her phone, ate and watched a movie waiting for the "actual" go time...but she is happy that she was in there and the two girls are close as can be given their huge age difference.  IK Mine is a little older, but if she is mature enough, and you talk to her about it beforehand, Id let her be in there.  Just make sure you pack some things for her to do while you are in that waiting period. (I also made sure I had change for the vending machines so that she wouldnt have to bug me for $ to get snacks)

princess_peach
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see a problem with it as long as you talk to her and prepare her. My kids are much younger, they'll be 4 and almost 2 when I have this baby. I would even let them in there if it wasn't for the fact I know they'd get bored and just be a distraction to me.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

When we had our third at home. My 3 and 6 year old were sitting right beside the midwife and watched their sister come into the world. We talked about what they could and might see. What they could and might hear. We watched some home births. They also knew they didn't have to be there if they didn't want to.

They got up and watched tv upstairs in our room with my sister. Then they wanted to come down and say hi and give me hugs. They had breakfast and hung out for a bit. I loved hearing them in the background talking and giggling. Then they went up for a short bit. Then it was time for baby to come.

fullxbusymom
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM

No I would never I do not feel it is a place for them. 

jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest two kids were there for the birth of my 5 year old and the end of the delivery with my 3 year old twins. They were 12 and 16 with my 5 year old and 14 and 18 with the twins. It was great! They enjoyed being there. I wanted all my kids to be there for the homebirth with my last but it didn't work out that way and ended up being just me and my husband, which was amazing as well! If she wants to be there, let her. She can always leave if it gets to be too much.
Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

no my son was 10 years old when I had my daughter. he was suppose to be in the delivery room when I had her, but him and my husband had to leave to go pick up fil was the bus station and they ended up missing the birth. I think he would have done just fine tho. he was in there when I was laboring and didn't have any problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured