Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Ginger tea??

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

Why does my ginger tea box say I should ask my physician before drinking it. Is it not safe to consume while pregnant? 

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I have no idea, but I hope more mamas are able to help.  I know too much of some herbs can be harmful or interact with various medicines.  I'm not sure about ginger though.

sugarcrisp
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM

I've always read that in early pregnancy ginger should be avoided as it may cause miscarriage.

afinecupoftea
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Ginger tea is perfectly fine unless you're drinking a ton of it. I think my prenatals even say to check with a doctor first if you're pregnant. I've known many women to drink it through the entire pregnancy because it was the only thing that helped nausea, and I drank it too, having suffered 2 losses and it didn't cause any cramping or bother me or baby in any way. Maybe if you're using fresh ginger, you might want to be careful, but a tea bag shouldn't be an issue. If you're worried, dilute it a bit more than you usually would.

staciexo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

On my list of things from my midwife it says to avoid drinking herbal tea unless you ask your health care provider first. But im sure a cup of tea wont hurt!

sburger315
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Not sure, is it a green tea?

Ginger is great to help with nausea. Try to buy a plain black tea and fresh ginger (grate it into the tea). I had to do that in my first trimester with the twins. 

Luke 3/15/11    Maddie 4/29/12    Identical Twin Girls Due 5/29/14

sburger315
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM

That is false. My doctor recommended fresh ginger grated into hot tea once a day to help with my morning sickness. I don't think she would tell me that if it could cause miscarriages. 

Quoting sugarcrisp:

I've always read that in early pregnancy ginger should be avoided as it may cause miscarriage.

sugarcrisp
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Just looked it up.

Not completely false.

" If fresh ginger isn't doing the trick, some doctors recommend ginger supplements; however, taking ginger supplements in large doses is potentially dangerous and can cause miscarriage or menstrual bleeding, according to the book "The 100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy." Eating ginger in fresh form is unlikely to cause these problems because you would have to eat a huge amount of the herb at one time to match the megadoses in some supplements."

Livestrong.

Quoting sburger315:

That is false. My doctor recommended fresh ginger grated into hot tea once a day to help with my morning sickness. I don't think she would tell me that if it could cause miscarriages. 

Quoting sugarcrisp:

sburger315
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah, so we were both right lol. Thank you for the info(:

My doctor probably didn't mention anything to me because I was using the fresh ginger.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Just looked it up.

Not completely false.

" If fresh ginger isn't doing the trick, some doctors recommend ginger supplements; however, taking ginger supplements in large doses is potentially dangerous and can cause miscarriage or menstrual bleeding, according to the book "The 100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy." Eating ginger in fresh form is unlikely to cause these problems because you would have to eat a huge amount of the herb at one time to match the megadoses in some supplements."

Livestrong.

Quoting sburger315:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:40 PM
I drink lemon ginger tea or Canada Dry ginger ale to help combat morning sickness & acid reflux. Ginger is a pregnant moms best friend!
MzKhan86
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:59 AM
I drunk ginger tea with my last pregnancy and mine now. It helps with nausea.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)