Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pregnant after a tubal?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi! I am 44, and I had my tubes tied (cut and burned) over 8 years ago after I had my third child. My periods have been normal up until February 2013, when I started about a week and a half late. I went to my Dr to see what was going on, and she could not find anything abnormal. Hormones were fine, ect... My periods went back to normal for the rest of the year. Normal for me was between 28 to 31 days. But my last period was Nov 11, 2013. I took a pregnancy test when I was a week late in Dec and it was negative. I am now 9 weeks late. I have read a lot about perimenopause and it's symptoms. I am not having hot flashes, or mood swings. My libido has actually gone up since my last period. My question is, has anyone ever heard of or actually know of anyone who has gotten pregnant years after having their tubes tied? I am not sure if I should worry, retest, or go see the Dr? Any advice is appreciated.

*UPDATE* I woke this morning (monday) and have started my period. It would have been 9 weeks late today. I have read somewhere that having your tubes tied can cause early menopause. I am still planning on seeing my Dr again just to make sure. Thanks for all the advice and stories!

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM
I only know of one person and that's my friend, she had 3 kids, got her tubes tied and a few months later got pregnant with her fourth!!!
tattoomommy-2
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM
My grandma did she was in her 40s and had it done for years she was thinking she was going through the change but nope she was pregnant she ended up losing the baby because where she was fixed caused the baby to not go to the right place they say its really hard to keep a baby after the woman was fixed i dont know how true that is just saying what i heard
notabosley
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM
I had mine done in 2010, I'm 21 weeks along now. I'm HR and under good care, but I was scared when I realized at 9 weeks I'm pregnant.
Tubal failure is rare but it does happen, and can result in ectopic pregnancy. I would go to your doctor.
MKImom
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM

did you take a home pregnancy test? How far along were you when you did? Did you experience early pregnancy symptoms? I have had some minor nausea, tender breasts, gas and bloating, mild dizziness and fatigue.

Quoting notabosley: I had mine done in 2010, I'm 21 weeks along now. I'm HR and under good care, but I was scared when I realized at 9 weeks I'm pregnant.
Tubal failure is rare but it does happen, and can result in ectopic pregnancy. I would go to your doctor.

Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM

it's not impossible for the tubes to reconnect and functionally work again... it would be best for you to get your blood drawn and see if you are you pregnant or if you are perimenopausal and just not experiencing all symptoms

notabosley
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM
I had all of the above, I have bipolar disorder and was on a downtime with my medication, so I dismissed the symptoms. At around 8 weeks, when I was supposed to start taking my lithium again, my DF brought home a three pack pregnancy test kit. I laughed him off, and took one the next morning. When the pregnant popped up on screen, I screamed, lol. I took one more that night when DF came home. Still in shock, and feeling denial I didn't call a doctors office till around noon the next day. Thank goodness I wasn't taking my medication.

Quoting MKImom:

did you take a home pregnancy test? How far along were you when you did? Did you experience early pregnancy symptoms? I have had some minor nausea, tender breasts, gas and bloating, mild dizziness and fatigue.

Quoting notabosley: I had mine done in 2010, I'm 21 weeks along now. I'm HR and under good care, but I was scared when I realized at 9 weeks I'm pregnant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN