Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pack n Play vs. Crib

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM
  • 37 Replies
I'm a first time mom and we will be shopping soon. I find out the gender in 8 days. After that, we plan on finally getting stuff together. I would like to know which you prefer, a Pack N Play vs a Crib? I won't lie, a big reason I'm asking is because cribs tend to be double or triple the amount. I will get a crib if people consider it a must have. I will NOT consider co-sleeping.
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM
If you're picking one or the other I would go with the crib. I had both, but only used the pack-n-play a few times.
HKing01
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM

If I had to pick between the 2 I'd get a crib. I got a nice crib for about $150 at Walmart. The crib will last longer for when baby gets older. A pack-n-play is nice for if you travel with baby but they can cost as much as a crib. I have always used both.

joywalz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM
I always thought both came in handy....I usually buy the pack n play used...they are really cheap that way.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM
I like both.

My baby rooms with me and either sleeps with me or in the pnp.

I like the crib for older babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hailey-brendan
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM

i use the pack n play right now fo my 2 month old becuse it is easier in the room with me but when she gets older i plan on moving her too crib. im still going to use the pak n play for when we travel.

Hopeful_Gam
by Heather on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM
I'd go crib. Maybe you could find both second hand. If you plan to go anywhere and sleep or send you child somewhere over night the pack and okay will come in handy! Or even for your room the first few weeks/months.
KelliansMom
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM

We are doing a pack and play this time around. we just dont have room for a crib and the pack and play is smaller. But we will be co sleeping (baby will be in our room). We had a crib with my son but he spent more time with use then he did in his crib. 

PJs35
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM
We are moving a month after our baby arrives so we are using a pack and play until we are in our new house and her nursery is set up.
eykelley
by Liz on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM
My 16m old still uses her pack n play as her bed. No issues. She slept in our room for the first year. I didnt want a big crib in there.
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:28 PM

The baby will outgrow the pack and play way before the crib. 

We definitely use both.  The baby slept in his swing (the rocker part on the floor) for 2 months in our room (bad reflux so he needed to be inclined).  We had wanted him to sleep in the basinette of the PNP but he couldn't tolerate being flat on his back.  At 2 months, he transitioned to the crib and sleeps/naps there.  We currently have the PNP set up in our room as a playpen and DH puts him in there while he gets dressed in the morning.  We also will be using the PNP when we travel in the near future because I don't want to rely on hotels to provide the cribs.

Also, with a crib you will have to buy a mattress (and that I would not recommend getting used).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)