Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Timing your epidural!!!?!?!?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:10 AM
  • 29 Replies

Iv'e heard all kinds of mixed reviews about epidurals, some women said thier deliveries were flawless with one. others said it wore off....RIGHT WHEN IT WAS TIME TO PUSH.....!!! yikes! I am 32 weeks now and its fast approaching. :( when should i ask for an epidural i dont think i can endure that pain :( im scared please help

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmj33
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly as soon as you cant do it anymore. I did it without for about 6/7 hours and was in labor for 21 and it lasted the whole time, I was also able to move my legs but felt no contractions. GL mamma
doulala
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

As late as possible.   It's worth preparing alternative ways to cope so you don't have to rely on that, too.

ahlannasmomm792
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:20 AM

i had my daughter natural and it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. my next child will be delivered naturally as well. id wait until you cant take it anymore because you might not need it. ive heard a lot of people say they had back problems from it

Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:20 AM
I would try to make it to 4-5cm at least. I made it to 4-5 with my second and probably could have gone longer but it was 1am and I wanted to try to sleep. Of course I never slept though. I delivered in numbed bliss at 6am.

It was different with my first because I was induced. They broke my water and my contrax started coming really hard so I had it right away. I have no idea how dilated I was though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samsanders
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
This is my first and I am going to go as long as I can without one. Some people think they need an epidural but wait it out and then find out that they can bare the pain. But if you just want it ASAP I'd wait until you were between 4-6 CM dilated.
fam3113
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:41 AM
I just had my baby last week. I waited as long as I could. I was 4 cm 80 effaced and got it. It started to wear off on one side after 8hrs but they gave me a refill and 2 hrs later I had her! I could feel the undeniable pressure of each contraction and her sliding down the canal. There wasn't any pain! Just pressure and huge relief when she finally came out!
Butterfly_xo
by Taylor Lynn on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:33 AM

I got my epidural when I was 4/5 cm dilated. It wore off completely when it was time to push. Throughout my stay, they kept giving me more but it seemed to me like they wanted it to wear off so I could feel the pressure to push. Well that pressure was pain. It hurt like hell, especially when his head was crowning, but it went by really quickly. Everyone's experiences are different. I was fine with it wearing off at the end because the most painful part of labor were the contractions... At least for me. Good luck and try not to stress !

navybeauty88
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:57 AM

I had one with my son and it kept me numb from the waist down the entire time. I was about 4-5 cm when I got it. Afterwards you do have a little soreness in the area where you got it, but it shouldn't be anything unbearable or that you will need meds for. 

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:02 AM
I got one after laboring for 12 hours with nothing, but I was only 4.5cm. I was 10cm 3 hours later and he was born after 45 minutes of pushing. I didn't feel a single thing.
Libra113
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:52 AM
It is all on how you feel. With my first child I waited until I was 6cm and had her hours later and it lasted. With my second, I couldn't wait. I was ont like 3cm but was in so much pain I couldn't even talk, and I was in labor for 19 hours after I got it. So it all depends on you. Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)