Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Oh, you'll just have to try again for a Boy"

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM
  • 18 Replies

WTH?!  That's what one of my MIL's said last night to my husband when he let her know we just found out we're having a girl.  (Yes, I have two MIL's, one is my husbands SM, the one who made that comment was his own Mother.) 

So, apparently, a Grand-Daughter isn't good enough, she wants a Grand-Son.  She wasn't joking when she said it, it was her first reaction to hearing the news.  She can s#ck my b@ll$

Is this a common thought process for anyone elses' family? 

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM
No, we've got a mix of both between my siblings but I know my MIL definitely prefers my son to my dd. She would never say anything but it's clear in her treatment. She is pretty convinced he's the smartest child that ever was or will be and he walks on water. My dd is just cute. DH and I have had some discussions...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffa5ny
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband already has 2 girls, so I know his family will be the exact same way if we find out we're having a girl. They want a boy to carry on the name. I just want a healthy baby but I know that's not going to be good enough for them. I don't really care though, we usually only see them on holidays. They're a little nuts.

lillucky8
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh, id be so annoyed. Id just tell them you will be enjoying your little princess for now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GCM
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:51 PM

The woman has 3 sons, and somehow she can't see that she's going to have a lot of chances to have a Grand-Son.  My DH just took it as if she was joking, it's not even HER name a boy would even carry on.  She's crazy, even my DH will agree to that!

Quoting tiffa5ny:

My husband already has 2 girls, so I know his family will be the exact same way if we find out we're having a girl. They want a boy to carry on the name. I just want a healthy baby but I know that's not going to be good enough for them. I don't really care though, we usually only see them on holidays. They're a little nuts.

GCM
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Pretty much what we said.  I also told her I'm not a freaking incubator that just pops out kids.  She's had a better attitude since then.  Lol!

Quoting lillucky8: Ugh, id be so annoyed. Id just tell them you will be enjoying your little princess for now.

GCM
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I'm worried this MIL might just be crazy enough to pull that crap.  If she does she just won't need to see her Grandkids as often as everyone else. 

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: No, we've got a mix of both between my siblings but I know my MIL definitely prefers my son to my dd. She would never say anything but it's clear in her treatment. She is pretty convinced he's the smartest child that ever was or will be and he walks on water. My dd is just cute. DH and I have had some discussions...

MooreMom523
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:33 PM

My MIL really wants us to have a boy because she only has one grand son and 5 grand daughters BUT at the same time she would be happy for us no matter what.

RunningMommaof2
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I got a lot of that when I found out I was having another girl. It really upset me that people like boys so much more than girls

navybeauty88
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I wouldn't have been offended. Maybe she just said it without thinking. It's not unusual for people to ask if you gonna have the opposite gender when you only have one gender. For example, our first was a boy, And for years people have been asking us are we gonna try for a girl. Luckily this one is a girl, but if she wasn't, I'm sure I would've got the comments about trying again for a girl. They probably didn't mean any harm. I would be bothered that it was her first reactions instead of "Congrats!"
azn_ladie82
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Kind of.. I guess. I have 3 boys and we're having our first girl. We've been waiting a long time for her. Most guys want a son, just like most women want a daughter. I do find it a little rude that your MIL wasn't joking when she said it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)