Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hyperemesis Gravidarum Controlling My Life

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM
  • 44 Replies
I'm 11 weeks pregnant and need help. I've been struggling with HG for the past 5 weeks, beginning a few days after my first prenatal appt with my new doctor. Since I haven't been able to discuss my situation with my doctor, I've made many distressed phone calls to his office only to be brushed off by the nurses and prescribed two nausea medications that unfortunately did not work. Since I failed to find relief from my doctor, I tried everything in my power to ease my misery in any way, again failing. Each week it has worsened, forcing me to get an iv due to dehydration in the ER, keeping me bed ridden, and putting a strain on my relationship with my boyfriend. It doesn't help that I'm unable to work a job right now, let alone get out of bed and clean the house even, so the financial stress of the house we just recently bought together (just before finding out we were expecting) has put a lot of pressure on the both of us, especially him. I feel terrible and useless but the HG has literally taken over my life, including my relationships. All I want is for anyone at all to make me feel like they understand what I'm going through. The lack of emotional support in my life since this began is causing me to get very depressed and also gave me an anxiety attack last week. I don't know how to cope with this and I can't find the help I need anywhere I look.
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Johlsh
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:48 PM

{Hugs} I had severe H.G with all three of my pregnancies and it was a nightmare. Have you been prescribed Zofran? That cut down my throwing up from 200-300 times a day down to 40-50 times.

NewMommyToBe814
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM
My insurance won't cover Zofran and my nurse said it would be close to $800 for 4 pills. I only wish I had $800 to spare. I was given Promethazine and then Reglan, neither of which worked.
MixedCooke
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Most seem to find relief with Zofran.  I try to limit my meals to smaller portions, limit my water with meals, have gatorade/powerade on hand, have antacids on hand, reduce trigger foods.  Ginger ale is also supposed to help.

NewMommyToBe814
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:20 AM
My insurance won't cover Zofran and I've been doing everything else you mentioned and nothing worked EXCEPT the antacids seem to relieve some of my discomfort so I have those with me always (:

Quoting MixedCooke:

Most seem to find relief with Zofran.  I try to limit my meals to smaller portions, limit my water with meals, have gatorade/powerade on hand, have antacids on hand, reduce trigger foods.  Ginger ale is also supposed to help.

funhappymom
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Can you switch doctors? Go with someone who will actually listen and try to help you?

I know that HG isn't just something that can be cured but symptoms should be manageable with help.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM

You're not the only one, mama. With my first pregnancy I literally -could- not physicially do anything. I laid on the couch, got up to vomit, back to couch. It got so bad I didn't even sleep in my own bed anymore, I just slept on the couch because it was closer to the toilet. :/ That went on for about five weeks. It was hell. It gets better. D= This time around, I've been nauseous day in and day out for the last four weeks, but so far, nothing's come up. Crossing my fingers it never gets past constant unrelenting nausea.

lillucky8
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM
I agree with the poster before me, have you looked into switching doctors? It sounds like they should be doing more for you. So sorry you arent feeling well, i hope it eases up for you soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
L0laUnscript3d
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:35 AM
You are not alone hun. This is my secone pregnancy out of 4 that Ive had HG. It really is isolating and hard to deal with. Since the financial situation is pretty tough right now have you tried getting medical assistance? Or even a prescription card (not from your insurance provider but a free/low cost script card) that can help you pay for the zofran. Im on all 3 (almost 33 weeks preggo) and the zofran seems to work far better. Im really sorry you're dealing with this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NewMommyToBe814
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I'm definitely going to look for another one. I go for my second appointment next wednesday and if he doesn't do anything more by then, I'm switching.

Quoting funhappymom:

Can you switch doctors? Go with someone who will actually listen and try to help you?

I know that HG isn't just something that can be cured but symptoms should be manageable with help.

NewMommyToBe814
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Thats been my routine, too. Our house is still completely packed from where we just moved and its a mess but I can't do anything. What makes it worse is that although my bf tries to be understanding and patient, I think a lot of times since he doesn't get what I'm going through he thinks I just want to be lazy and it frustrates him. He's asked me a few times when I'm going to unpack or do the dishes, etc. I feel bad that I can't but I literally can't. I need to figure out a way to help him understand. That would make it a little easier on both of us I think.

Quoting Serabeth06:

You're not the only one, mama. With my first pregnancy I literally -could- not physicially do anything. I laid on the couch, got up to vomit, back to couch. It got so bad I didn't even sleep in my own bed anymore, I just slept on the couch because it was closer to the toilet. :/ That went on for about five weeks. It was hell. It gets better. D= This time around, I've been nauseous day in and day out for the last four weeks, but so far, nothing's come up. Crossing my fingers it never gets past constant unrelenting nausea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)