Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Natural Birth Question !

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM
  • 20 Replies
If you have a natural birth in the hospital , do they still not allow you to
eat ? If no , why not ?

Im a bit confused . This will be my 2nd birth but 1st natural birth .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM
I had 3 natural births & was offered small snacks by my midwives with my last two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samsanders
by Samantha on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM
From what I hear while you're in the hospital laboring, no, no food is allowed. Which is so not fair. But it's because if you have to have an emergency c section they don't want you throwing up and choking. Or that's what I've heard. Haha I could be totally wrong
Maria_Peanut
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Thats absolutely ridiculous . Im gonna have a long talk with my doc . My last labor was 36 hours and i went NUTS because i was beyond starving . It made me really uncomfortable . Even a light snack would be nice .

Quoting samsanders: From what I hear while you're in the hospital laboring, no, no food is allowed. Which is so not fair. But it's because if you have to have an emergency c section they don't want you throwing up and choking. Or that's what I've heard. Haha I could be totally wrong
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMCMSM
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM
I ate both times and both times I threw it up. They let me have snacks but I snuck a chili burger and fries... Big mistake I did not repeat. Throwing up actually is good and helps push the baby down.
samsanders
by Samantha on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:48 PM
I agree. Our bodies need that energy to keep going. I'm just going to sneak a snack when I can out of my diaper bag.

Quoting Maria_Peanut: Thats absolutely ridiculous . Im gonna have a long talk with my doc . My last labor was 36 hours and i went NUTS because i was beyond starving . It made me really uncomfortable . Even a light snack would be nice .

Quoting samsanders: From what I hear while you're in the hospital laboring, no, no food is allowed. Which is so not fair. But it's because if you have to have an emergency c section they don't want you throwing up and choking. Or that's what I've heard. Haha I could be totally wrong
JorJorsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I think it depends on the hospital.  All of my kids were born in the same hospital, all natural births, and they wouldn't let me eat.  I asked why and they said that in the event that there is an emergency they don't want you throwing up.  I just had hubby sneak me in snacks from the vending machine, lol.  Cause I think that's a silly rule.  I could have went into labor on a full stomach, so what's the difference?

TeamBlueNPink
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM

my water was leaking early moning i was at the hospital from 6pm Dec23rd had him 9:58am Dec 24th no food when i was at the hospital but i got epi so not possitive on the rules of eating

iamnameless
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:07 PM
You can ask your dr about it. Also they spend so little time with you that you could easily sneak a snack. But i would suggest light snack like crackers or something.
kcangel63
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM
I was never even allowed water when laboring in the hospital. Which sucked.

When laboring and birthing at home I ate and drank when I wanted.
lauren.m
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM
All they ever let me have was ice chips.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)