Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

So frustrating.....please give advice/experience...I'm going crazy!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

Long story short, I have horrible insomnia have for 6 years been on ambien cr. now I'm 7 weeks preggo, tried all the Benadryl and unison "safe" pills didn't work. Went to my family doc explained everything she said to try to hold out on taking anything till 8 weeks, then use the ambien as little as possible. I don't want to take it all because I would never forgive myself if something happened to the baby, she said it would be ok to try melatonin. Went to the store, got some, took 4 mg that night and it actually helped me a little, not great, but way better then nothing. Looked it up online tonight and there is stuff all over the internet saying how it's not safe in pregnancy, and can cause developmental disorders ect ect.... One lady even said her doctor told her not to take melatonin and gave her ambien instead. I am soooo confused, and frustrated, and exhausted , I can't sleep! I don't know if I need to get a different doctor because mine sucks or what. Please help!

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
esox
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM
I have no experience with either myself, but I do know that melatonin is used for most of my students (blind & visually impaired) starting when they are infants. I've not heard of any doctors prescribing ambien for a baby..
JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I don't have insomnia but I know ppl that do and it sux.  You must be so exhausted.  Idk what would be safe during pregnancy but my 5 year old is on melatonin.  I hope you find some relief and are able to get some rest.  Good luck.

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Have you tried tylenol PM? Also ask your doctor about zzquil. Good luck. 

mcmlx3v
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I know this probably sounds like a really far-out hippie thing, but my mom swore by deep meditation music when she was having trouble sleeping or was feeling sick.  The idea is that your body gets "in tune" with the music, which starts out sort of like what you'd hear at a spa, and gradually gets more droning until it's just one low sound that would be incredibly boring if you were listening for fun but is effective if you're trying to sleep.  She used Andrew Weil's CDs, if you're interested in trying it out.  I know it's probably a stretch after being used to Ambien, but if you're trying to stay natural, it doesn't get much more natural than that... might be worth a shot

lillettemomma
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:56 PM
I took colondadine (sp) during the beginning of my pregnancy.... my only issue is now my baby might have microcephaly don't know if the meds caused it (couldn't find anything online saying it could)..... so I donno what else to say.... but try avoiding stimulation for like an hour before bed....turn off all electronics in the bedroom....drink a warm cup of tea or take a warm bath....
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Our bodies naturally make melatonin and doctors get kickbacks from drug companies, which do you think is safer??  I take melatonin and it works for me though I take 10 mg.

sarahtbkh
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:18 AM
I am in the same boat ITS AWFUL!!!! I know when 1-2am his I'm up for atleast 3 hours...its making life unimaginable. As far as melatonin in pregnancy I have no idea but I've given it to my kids from toddler age on and its been amazing. The pediatrician recommended it.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Melatonin is what your brain produces naturally for you to sleep.

It is the chemical that your body uses to sleep, otherwise you (general you) would never get sleep.

If your body isn't making enough of this chemical then taking melatonin can only be safe for you. Talk to your doctor and if you are concerned about the safety of it, he/she could always check the levels you have. 

JaimieP
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I have no advise on the sleep, but you said you're going to a family doc (so I'm assuming general practitioner?).  My go told me Allegra was safe and Flonase/singular we're very unsafe in pregnancy.  Got an OB and was immediately told to change over to Claritin (doesn't work as we'll for me) and asked doc yesterday if I could go back to Allegra (38 weeks) and he said no.  Not till I'm don bfing.  I was also told Flonase and singular are both safe, given the risks of me not breathing without them.

that being said, find an OB and ask them.  They know pregnant women and our bodies better.  I do agree avoid as much as possible till 8 weeks.  I was told the bones have formed by then, so any bone defects become almost non-existent due to meds after that pt.  (told by OB and neuro).  

Good luck sleeping!

LifesALilHectic
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I would get a second opinion and call the manufacture company of the Melatonin... Maybe they can tell you something... I would recommend soaking in a lavendar bubble bath with some warm milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)