Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice Needed: Im 4 months pregnant and its sooo hard for me...

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

Im 4 months pregnant and its sooo hard for me to quit smoking, ive cut down but is still smoking once in a while still bad?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it's still bad. 

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM

it isnt good but the withdrawal effects of going cold turkey could be just as bad and even put you at risk of miscarrying.  It still is best for you to gradually wean yourself off completely as you are still putting the baby at risk.

LifesALilHectic
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

No... Weining yourself off is the best way to do it, because if you quit cold turkey you can actually shock your system and possibly harm the baby. Try to use the electronic cigarettes instead also they have ones that do not contain nicotine. Do what you think is best. DONT let anyone try to make you feel bad... At least you have cut down, that's better than most women smokers that become pregnant.

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Less is better than a lot, but it is still bad.  You know that, otherwise you wouldn't be asking.  Take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. 

If you want a cigarette, tell yourself if you get through 15 minutes and you still want one you can have it.  Then after a few days 20 minutes, then 30, then 45, then an hour, etc. 

You will be healthier (and have more spending money!) if you manage to quit.  So will your child.  If you keep smoking, your child will likely have asthma and other issues (you know all of this). 

Just find some really good support online and IRL and keep working at it. 

good luck

Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM

cutting down is good, but not smoking at all is best...keep trying to cut down, even one a day less is better. I was a smoker when I got pregnant with DS1 and I had the same problem...I just kept going down one- two a day until I was completely quit. Quitting cold turkey can harm the baby, ask your doctor if they can recommend anything.

beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

No smoking is best. You need to quit for the health of your baby (and yourself). Smoking during pregnancy increases baby's risk of SIDS and puts the baby at risk for health problems and complications before and after birth. You can read more about it here: http://www.cdc.gov/Reproductivehealth/TobaccoUsePregnancy/index.htm

Whit0416
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM
It's not hard... I was a VERY heavy smoker until 5 weeks ago when I found out I was pregnant. I quit for my baby. It's all in your head. The first week sucks but after that you totally forget about it.
Brandibee_5
by 7/30/14 on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Try to smoke only outside and not in your car. You will have to do this after baby is born anyway. Drink lots of water and eat some hard candy. Keep up the good work.
LaDulceVida
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM
The day i found out I was pregnant I stopped smoking that same day. But I was not smoking more than I'd say about 5 cigarettes a day. For someone who has been smoking for years (assuming you have) and in great numbers, it is much harder for them. Good that you cut back and just keep aiming for 0 you can make it. Good luck :)
Dreagon_Magos
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Im so sorry your going through this, is sounds really tough. It is still bad for the baby. I wish you find the strengh for you both. I know something like that isnt easy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)