Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Choosing a doctor

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM
  • 20 Replies

Hi everyone! I am almost 5 weeks along and I would like to schedule my 8 week visit, but I'm not entirely sure if I want to stay with the practice that delivered me last time (I swore I wouldn't at the time, but since doing some research I think I might) I've basically narrowed down my options to the following three:

1) Stay with my current practice. Pros - top notch doctors, delivers in the hospital with the best reputation and best NICU if needed, nice office staff, reasonable wait times, convenient office location. Cons - I was rotated between 5 doctors last time and was surprised by the one that ended up delivering me. Many of the nurses at the hospital were mean and made me feel stupid on several occasions. They basically ruined my experience. I feel I was not given an adequate chance to recover from the delivery and went home feeling very ill because of it. The hospital is in the middle of a busy city and coming and going was stressful, especially being in labor and then having a brand new baby with us. 

2) Change to a similar local practice. Pros - delivers in a nicer looking hospital with valet parking, offers a chance at having better hospital nurses, one doctor. Cons - the hospital reputation is not as good (not to suggest that it's bad), the practice office staff has consistently poor reviews, and the wait times are said to be very long. 

3) Change to a popular doctor in the busy city. Pros - one top notch doctor with great reputation, as far as I know the office staff and wait times are fine, delivers at the hospital with the best reputation. Cons - Having to go into the busy city and find/pay for parking every time I have an appointment (that sounds horrible to me), combined with my poor experience in that hospital the last time. 

I'm heavily leaning towards option #1 because it seems like the best compromise, yet dreading it at the same time. I do not want to relive the terrible experience that I had with the nurses at the hospital the last time, but I feel like I should definitely be prioritizing the level of expertise that I choose over my own emotional comfort, since it seems I can't have both. 

Anyway, do you think I'm making the right choice? Do you think that there is anything that I can do to try to have a better experience this time around? Maybe they fired their mean nurses? hehe. 

Thanks! 

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I had the opposite problem as you during my last pregnancy. I hated the OBs (especially the jerk who delivered my son) but the nurses at the hospital were awesome. They made the experience sooo much better and were supportive of how I wanted to birth. Having nice nurses can make all the difference. I think option 2 *might* be better but I think you should interview that OB first and take a tour of the hospital to see if it's something you want. Have you considered a nurse midwife or licensed midwife instead of an OB? I had a CNM for most of my last pregnancy and I absolutely loved it.

amberNewman0213
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM
From someone who did change. I am now having to go to a hospital also with bad staff reviews. And I don't Carr how much I love my ob. My past 2 stays at the hospital and being treated like i was really really ruined so much for me having the baby. I dontnunderstand why people go into nursing to help others but act like complete bitches because they have to do their job
lady_katie
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Quoting beachlove512:

I had the opposite problem as you during my last pregnancy. I hated the OBs (especially the jerk who delivered my son) but the nurses at the hospital were awesome. They made the experience sooo much better and were supportive of how I wanted to birth. Having nice nurses can make all the difference. I think option 2 *might* be better but I think you should interview that OB first and take a tour of the hospital to see if it's something you want. Have you considered a nurse midwife or licensed midwife instead of an OB? I had a CNM for most of my last pregnancy and I absolutely loved it.

Thanks! Maybe I will tour the hospital, especially since I'm having such a difficult time deciding here. At least then I can ask questions and get a feel for the staff in person. 

To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what the difference between a midwife and an OB is. Initially that idea makes me nervous because it sounds like "less than" a doctor (I have to admit, I'm very paranoid about complications), but I think that I will do some research into that since I'm not happy with the options that I've come up with otherwise. 

lady_katie
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Quoting amberNewman0213: From someone who did change. I am now having to go to a hospital also with bad staff reviews. And I don't Carr how much I love my ob. My past 2 stays at the hospital and being treated like i was really really ruined so much for me having the baby. I dontnunderstand why people go into nursing to help others but act like complete bitches because they have to do their job

I know, right? I kept saying to myself "wow, these people must really hate their jobs!!" :( 

lovebugs_mom906
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Do you know anyone that has been to the other practices? I would probably stay with what I'm comfortable with. Chances are, you won't have the same nurses as you did last time, so hopefully your experiences will be better.
I chose my doctor this time around because I had him with my first. I see only him, and unless he's on vacation when I go into labor, he's the one to deliver - no matter the time of day. That is something I value.
beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Midwives tend to be more naturally minded. They're less likely to force an induction, use unnecessary birth interventions (like forceps or pitocin), are more supportive of vaginal and med free births, and tend to have better bedside manner. From my experience, OBs tend to rush through appointments, not really listening to any questions you may have while midwives do more of a one-on-one approach and truly listen to what you have to say. Certified nurse midwives can do many of the things a doctor can do (except a c-section) and are RNs who have completed a master's degree in midwifery plus certification. CNMs work in a practice with an OB so you can have the best of both during the pregnancy and during the birth. The thing I personally don't like about OBs is that they're not really trained to handle a "normal" natural birth. They're basically surgeons who are trained to handle emergency situations and complicated pregnancies. This can be good of course, but if you're having a normal, healthy pregnancy then this could pose a problem and lead to a cascade of unnecessary interventions.

Quoting lady_katie:

Quoting beachlove512:

Thanks! Maybe I will tour the hospital, especially since I'm having such a difficult time deciding here. At least then I can ask questions and get a feel for the staff in person. 

To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what the difference between a midwife and an OB is. Initially that idea makes me nervous because it sounds like "less than" a doctor (I have to admit, I'm very paranoid about complications), but I think that I will do some research into that since I'm not happy with the options that I've come up with otherwise. 

lady_katie
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Interesting! Thanks so much for the explaination, I really appreciate it. I am planning to have an epidural, do you think that a midwife would still be a good fit in that scenario? 

Quoting beachlove512:

Midwives tend to be more naturally minded. They're less likely to force an induction, use unnecessary birth interventions (like forceps or pitocin), are more supportive of vaginal and med free births, and tend to have better bedside manner. From my experience, OBs tend to rush through appointments, not really listening to any questions you may have while midwives do more of a one-on-one approach and truly listen to what you have to say. Certified nurse midwives can do many of the things a doctor can do (except a c-section) and are RNs who have completed a master's degree in midwifery plus certification. CNMs work in a practice with an OB so you can have the best of both during the pregnancy and during the birth. The thing I personally don't like about OBs is that they're not really trained to handle a "normal" natural birth. They're basically surgeons who are trained to handle emergency situations and complicated pregnancies. This can be good of course, but if you're having a normal, healthy pregnancy then this could pose a problem and lead to a cascade of unnecessary interventions.

Quoting lady_katie:

Quoting beachlove512:

beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, midwives are supportive in however women want to birth. Mine was okay with whatever I wanted. They do encourage natural ways to relieve pain but are not against epidurals. The CNM who was there with me throughout my labor (she was awesome) offered me an epidural when she saw how much pain I was in even though she knew I preferred to be med free. I declined so she offered me IV pain meds instead which I took. 

Quoting lady_katie:

Interesting! Thanks so much for the explaination, I really appreciate it. I am planning to have an epidural, do you think that a midwife would still be a good fit in that scenario? 

Quoting beachlove512:

Quoting lady_katie:

Quoting beachlove512:

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM

OMG, are you me?  (except for your last post).  I was also going to suggest looking to see if there is a midwifery practice near you.  I loved going to the midwife and the one time I went to an OB in the practice I felt rushed and like I was just being pushed through. 

I also would be leaning toward #2.  And I agree, do the hospital tour and see how you feel.

I am going to have to change practices next time because we moved.  I could go to the one I went to, but don't want to drive an hour for every appointment and then an hour for delivery.  My whole labor was 6 hours start to finish and I hear subsequent kids come faster. 

I found a midwifery practice near us that delivers at the hospital 10 minutes away, so I'll meet with them in November or so when I'm ready to get the IUD removed so we can TTC #2.

Quoting beachlove512:

LifesALilHectic
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:32 PM

How about combinding option 1 and 2... Is there any way that you can have the doc office that you want, but deliver at a sister hospital?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN