Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Flu Shot

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM
  • 23 Replies

My last two OB appointments, the doctor has strongly suggested that i get a flu shot since the flu is really bad this year. Thing is, I've never gotten one before (to my memory, I might have as a kid that I don't remember). I'm not anti-vac or shot or anything like that, I just never think of it and I rarely get the flu. If I ever do, it's usually not even in flu season. I've heard not to get one when you're pregnant, but I do also trust my doctor, so I'm torn. Not wanting to make a vaccination/anti-vaccination debate start up, just looking for opinions. Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JacknJill
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM
My ob told me to get one. I have never done it before but where I live there is an h1n1 strand going around that has killed three healthy people in my county. I'm pregnant with twins and not taking a chance. I got it. I'd ask your ob
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM

They are safe in pregnancy, and most doctors will recommend them. I got one back in October, with no problems. :) 

victoriaherring
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM
I didn't get it. I just have a bad gut feeling about it.. When I said no my ob said good choice so I feel comfortable not having it.
Libra113
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM
You have to do what you think is right, and your ob needs to respect that. I do not get the flu shot and have never gotten the flu shot while pregnant, I'm pregnant with my third right now, I also have a 7 and 3 year old and they do not get the shot as well and we never get the flu. So it's all your feelings about it
eb9411
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM
I was so set on refusing it when I was pregnant because I didn't want it to affect him. But once he came I did get it that way I wouldn't be getting him sick. I have also never had a flu shot in my life
nolongermstkn
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Nope i refused. My ob got ticked i refused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coliemamiof2
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:55 PM
4 moms liked this
As I've stated in the "flu shot: why you should get one" post (this is not a debate, just facts pertaining to the subject):

Flu shots actually cause more miscarriages than a women who gets the flu without the shot. Why is it so unsafe? Bc of the ridiculous high levels of mercury in it. The flu shots are actually NOT recommended for infants or pregnant women by the companies that make the shots. As far as I'm concerned, your doctor tells you to watch out, not to eat too much stuff with mercury in it bc it can harm the baby (such as fish, clams, shrimp, ect) but then they load you up with mercury for a flu shot. Where is the logic? There are all-natural remedies & precautions that you can take to avoid the cold/flu & if you do have it, to lessen the amount of time it is in your body. Plus,flu shot is NOT guaranteed to prevent/cure the flu. There are multiple types of strains of the flu out there & a flu shot actually only "could help prevent" one type, not all.
azn_ladie82
by Melissa on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM
I don't usually get one either but I decided to since I'm prego. Come next flu season I'm back to not getting it. My children haven't gotten a flu shot since they were two.
lauren.m
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM
This is the first time I've ever gotten it. My Dr recommended it so I went to my PCP and got it.
LifesALilHectic
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I refuse to... Never have gotten it and never will... This is my 4th baby and never had it with any of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)