Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anxiety!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM
  • 33 Replies
Ok ladies I need a little help. I suffer from anxiety, OCD, PTSD, and depression. I wasn't on an antidepressant anymore. But I was on two antianxiety meds. Once I found out I was pregnant my doctor took me off of both. He said there are a couple out there that are said to be safe to take during pregnancy. But all medications run risks of harming an unborn child.

I don't want to harm my tiny human in anyway shape or form. Even if that means not being on medications. But me having panic attacks can't be healthy either right?

So my question is do any of you know any good natural ways to deal with anxiety? I really don't want to risk hurting my tiny human by taking medications. Please help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Ask him about 5-HTP, or do your own research on it.  There are a lot of women who have taken it during pregnancy in place of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds safely, but because it's a supplement, it really hasn't been formally researched.

jayangel82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM

try relaxing techniques, keeping your schedule open for you time, clear out any unneeded drama people... take an extra day off if needed. I suffer from anxiety too and these things helped me

Krizzle01
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:19 PM
I hear ya :( I was off antidepressants and then I got back on them since I was getting worse. I'm 25 weeks now. The doctor told me it's now safe to take them since the baby parts are fully developed. I still suffer from anxiety too :(
rainbowsNmetal
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Thanks! I will do some research on that. And ask my doctor about it.

Quoting Heather2001:

Ask him about 5-HTP, or do your own research on it.  There are a lot of women who have taken it during pregnancy in place of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds safely, but because it's a supplement, it really hasn't been formally researched.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rainbowsNmetal
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Thanks. I will definitely do that.

Quoting jayangel82:

try relaxing techniques, keeping your schedule open for you time, clear out any unneeded drama people... take an extra day off if needed. I suffer from anxiety too and these things helped me

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rainbowsNmetal
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Did your doctor mention any anti-anxiety meds that you can take?

Quoting Krizzle01: I hear ya :( I was off antidepressants and then I got back on them since I was getting worse. I'm 25 weeks now. The doctor told me it's now safe to take them since the baby parts are fully developed. I still suffer from anxiety too :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krizzle01
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Unfortunately no :(

Quoting rainbowsNmetal: Did your doctor mention any anti-anxiety meds that you can take?

Quoting Krizzle01: I hear ya :( I was off antidepressants and then I got back on them since I was getting worse. I'm 25 weeks now. The doctor told me it's now safe to take them since the baby parts are fully developed. I still suffer from anxiety too :(
rainbowsNmetal
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM
I'm so sorry :(.

Quoting Krizzle01: Unfortunately no :(

Quoting rainbowsNmetal: Did your doctor mention any anti-anxiety meds that you can take?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jayangel82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM

No I didnt ask for any, sorry

Love,
Mrs. Gonzales
 BabyFruit Ticker
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:46 AM

St Johns Wort and Relora are natural but since the FDA does not manage herbal remedies they recommend not taking them while pregnant though they are used regularly in foreign countries.  I weigh the good with the bad, whats worse the high level of stress jeopardizing my pregnancy or the unknown low risk possibility. to each is own.  i did take St Johns Wort while pregnant with no side effects to the baby or myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)