Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

TDAP shot?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  • 45 Replies
My dr told me that now they are recommending this shot to moms before the baby is born. With both my previous kids I got the shot in the hospital after they were born. I am a vaxxing mom but this being so new it does make me nervous. Obviously the shot isn't new but giving it to pregnant women is.....at least for my drs office. They weren't offering it 14 months ago to pregnant women.

My drs office say they highly recommend it but to think about it and have it done if I decide to at my next apt (which is Monday).

What has everybody decided on? Will you/did you get it? Why or why not?
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM
I was just told about this too. My midwife suggested getting it when I do my GD test

I am on the fence also.

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting this because my oldest will start Kindergarten in the fall & be bringing home all those new germs. My baby will only be about 3mo at that time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM

My husband and I both got it, and so did both sets of our parents. My OB's office has been doing it for awhile. The only negative effect I've had is a sore arm for a couple days... little guy is doing just fine (I get weekly ultrasounds because of high blood pressure and GD). I couldn't find any reason not to get it, because whooping cough has been AWFUL here these last few months, and babies don't get that vaccine until about 2 months on a normal vaxing schedule. I couldn't justify leaving him unprotected for that long. At least this way, he is protected through me until he gets the booster! Pretty much everyone I know who has had a baby in the last few years went ahead and did it, as well. No issues from any of them either, whatever that's worth. :)

To each their own, though! I am completely pro-vaccine, so obviously that affects my answer.

NESmith63
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:20 PM
I'm pro-vaxx too. It's just the "newness" of it that bothers me. I don't really want to be a test subject and I don't understands why a newborn can NOT get the vaxx after it's born but it's totally fine to be transferred from mom to baby in the womb. That part doesn't make sense to me.

Quoting JessiFaye:

My husband and I both got it, and so did both sets of our parents. My OB's office has been doing it for awhile. The only negative effect I've had is a sore arm for a couple days... little guy is doing just fine (I get weekly ultrasounds because of high blood pressure and GD). I couldn't find any reason not to get it, because whooping cough has been AWFUL here these last few months, and babies don't get that vaccine until about 2 months on a normal vaxing schedule. I couldn't justify leaving him unprotected for that long. At least this way, he is protected through me until he gets the booster! Pretty much everyone I know who has had a baby in the last few years went ahead and did it, as well. No issues from any of them either, whatever that's worth. :)

To each their own, though! I am completely pro-vaccine, so obviously that affects my answer.

KelliansMom
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:41 PM
I will not get a vax while pregnant. I will get it after my son is born. That's the same thing I did with my last pregnancy. My midwife has actually not even mentioned it to me at all.
kbornman21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:46 PM
I got both the flu shot and the TDAP shot. My boyfriend will also be getting the TDAP shot.
Mommy_Natural
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:55 PM
3 moms liked this

I won't get vaccines while pregnant. I never have before so I figure why start now. My children are vaccinated, though only with the necessary ones for daycare and school, they never get the flu shot or any optional vaccines. 

esox
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:59 PM
I received the TDap and have had no side effects all ultrasounds and non stress tests since then have been great. I've been told that I have a very happy baby growing in there :D
PJs35
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I get mine tomorrow. I wasn't happy about it since I just got my booster for it last winter. They give it to you for the pertussis not the tetanus part. I guess pertussis is on the upswing this year so this is their way of vaccinating the baby and mom.

WVmom06
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM

My husband and I both got the shot while I was pregnant.  My midwife and OB said that getting the vaccine protects both the mom from passing it on and the baby till the baby gets it's first vaccinations.  There have been several cases of pertussis in neighboring counties and at least one death so I decided since it would help protect both the baby and I that I would get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN