Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kidney infections, any experience?!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:58 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hey ladies

So I am 13 weeks 3 days. I have had a cold since around Christmas seen my dr several times and it never progressed, she kBept saying if I run a fever etc come back. So last Friday when I started running a temp and throwing up I went right in, scared i had the flu! I also had pretty severe back pain that day but I had slept in a different spot than usual so thought it was from that.

Turns out I had no flu but I did have my first kidney infection! I was admitted, and just cam e home Tuesday evening. I have had no fever etc. but I did just throw up (middle of night) for first time since Friday when I thought I had the flu. Curious if this should be alarming or not? We are in Florida, and for the first time in 20 years the roads are iced over, sleet/snow everywhere and frankly we do not know how to drive in this mess or I would likely just go in. My doctors office reopens at noon tomorrow (hopefully ice should be gone by then) I will deff call and ask if I'm not feeling any better.

Just curious if anyone else has experience with kidney infections? I've never had one period, but they made it seem like they can be very dangerous during pregnancy.

Thanks ladies :) have a great night! Sorry for bad grammar ha iPhone :)
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
otoole
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM
stay hydrated til you get throw to them or is there any other number you can ring,? out of hours office? i had a kidney infect when i was 30 weeks.i thought it was just the vomiting bug cos it was going around at time. i wasvomiting for 4days straight before i went to the doc. as far as i know you need to drink plenty of water to help it. ither than that i am not really sure
JorJorsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Yup, I've had kidney infections and they suck.  I had one my with my last pregnancy.  I was 5 months pregnant and my hubby n I took a weekend vacation.  We were walking the boardwalk and all over but I kept having to stop n sit down.  I was having pains in my side n back.  I thought it was just bc of all the walking n I was wearing shoes with a bit of a heal.  We ended up going home early n I went to the hospital.  It ended up that I had a kidney infection.  Hang in there.  I hope you feel better soon.

hvanover
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I have never had one when I have been pregnant but I have been hospitalized twice. I was like you the first time I thought I had the flu so I dident go to the doctor by the time I went to the hospital it was almost to late my kidneys had started shuting down and it had caused damage to my sleen and pancress I ended up bein in the hospital for eight days and was on anti-biotic for two months afterwards. The second time I realized the symptoms much ealier and ended up only being in the hospital for three days that time but they are verry scary and can come on very quick. I would say if you dont have a fever you can wait for the doctor but if you even start to get a fever I would go the ER ASAP!

lovemybabies811
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Thanks ladies. No temp so far threw up once more today but feeling a little better this evening. They have me on an antibiotic for the remainder of my pregnancy which seems a little excessive to me, but better safe than sorry I guess!
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:10 PM
I hope you feel better!

Quoting lovemybabies811: Thanks ladies. No temp so far threw up once more today but feeling a little better this evening. They have me on an antibiotic for the remainder of my pregnancy which seems a little excessive to me, but better safe than sorry I guess!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melodee0119
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I do know that fever is more dangerous then throwing up in pregnancy. What makes throwing up dangerous is dehydration so drink a ton. I also know that helps flush the kidney. I would probably wait until the dr opened unless you get a fever then go in.

Driving on ice isn't to bad but its worse if you have rear wheel drive car. Drive slow and start stopping early and slowly :) good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured