Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Gestational Diabetes--need help plz!

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi I have Gestational Diabetes with this pregnancy, I was able to keep it under control with a diet for a month and now that I have hit 32 weeks its out of control! I eat a lot of protien and try to stay away from sweets every now and then I have a bite of cake or a cookie (can't be perfect all the time). I skipped my bedtime snack as we ended up having a late supper and my sugar was 102 fasting :( Does anybody have any good ideas or tips to help me keep this under control until they induce me in March?????

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Skipping that last snack can actually make your fasting number go higher. It all has to do with your hormone levels, and if your body doesn't have any carbs to break down overnight, your glucose levels can get out of whack. :) I always make myself eat it, or when I inevitably wake up to pee at night, I will eat then.

bebcarroll
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I have had it with the last 3 pregnancies.  The first time I only needed diet and exercise to keep it under control.  The last two times, I have had to have insulin (don't blame weight gain for this either, I weigh less now than when I got pregnant with my first and my second),  to keep my blood sugar under control.  I switched Dr.s this time and their practice was much better at explaining that  this is not something you are doing (I mean unless you are eating cake for breakfast and having Cokes as a snack.) but that the placenta raises the amount of hormones you produce and that is what is playing with your blood sugar.   Being older does not help, but you cannot go back in time and get pregnant sooner.  Also, there is in some people a genetic tendency for your liver to not process sugar correctly over night, so you have through no fault in diet and exercise, higher fasting blood sugars. (With my third pregnancy I only needed insulin over night, with my fourth now, I need it all day and all night... I'm eating better and less this pregnancy and I need More insulin, go figure.)  You need to talk to your Dr., unless this is the only high blood sugar you ever get, and they will get you set with what ever you need (some OB use pills instead of insulin).  Watch what you eat and drink and get exercise, but remember, that a lot of this is a result of the placenta and the only thing you can do to change it is have the baby, and you don't want to do that yet.

Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM
I have it for the second time and am on glyburide after only 4 days. They started me out on the lowest possible dose which worked for 1 day. My fasting was 101 this morning! I have a growth u/s later this morning and a check with my nurse and i'm expecting my dosage to increase today. I'm only 27w and think i'm heading toward insulin shots if it continues to be this difficult to manage my fasting numbers.

Ask for glyburide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsgosch
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I switched DRs this time too as with my first the Dr didnt do a good job explaining anything to me (was my first pregnancy) I actually have learned a lot from this dr and he's done a great job explaining the diabetes to me and what I need to do to keep them down. LOL cake for breakfast would be a bad choice even without having this and as for coke and other pop I havent had any since I found out I was expecting, just a small cup of coffee in the morning to get me going. My LO keeps me on my toes and I need the boost to chase her. I might just end up on the pill (they choose that one first) I've been eating more protein with my carbs and trying to only have  1 serving of carbs paired with protein for snacks and eat every 2 hours with exercise more often to help get them down. I have 1 week to get on track before I see the Dr again and see what he says ( I feel like a failure when I go in with my diary of high numbers) Thankfully the baby is around 4lbs so far, I have about 5 weeks left before my induction (hoping for her to be around 7 lbs) so I dont need a c-section

mrsgosch
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: I have it for the second time and am on glyburide after only 4 days. They started me out on the lowest possible dose which worked for 1 day. My fasting was 101 this morning! I have a growth u/s later this morning and a check with my nurse and i'm expecting my dosage to increase today. I'm only 27w and think i'm heading toward insulin shots if it continues to be this difficult to manage my fasting numbers.

Ask for glyburide.

I hope your scan goes well. I do them weekly from here on out. I'll ask him for that one if I end up on something. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who is battling this at first I felt so alone. 

hailey-brendan
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM
I found eating something semi high in carbs at night helped my fasting number. I had cheese every night with either a bowl of Cheerios or ice cream I had about 30-35 carbs at night and before I starting doing that I could not keep it under control.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN