Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Obstetrician or Midwife? Which did you choose and why?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM
  • 41 Replies

Hi all of you pregnant ladies. Which did you choose as your care provider for this pregnancy; An Obsterician or a Midwife? Why?   I remember the first time I became pregnant I had no idea what a midwife was and the thought of choosing one for care and birth scared me because it wasn't what I had grown up knowing about. As I got older I've found myself much more educated about them and find that they have some wonderful advantages compared to Obstetricians in my area. I'm not sure which I should go with so I wanted to know what everyone else is doing. Let's have a good conversation ya'll. ;)

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

There are a lot of threads already on this (I think one last week), so I would recommend doing a search. 

I used a MW because they are more educated and more experienced for normal, natural birth without interventions.  OBs are trained for everything that could go wrong and therefore often look for things to go wrong or to do things (like c-sections or inductions) for convenience rather than medical need.

If you have any complications (prior C-section, history of complicated birth, medical issues) you need an OB.  If you want a natural, med-free birth and are very low risk, you might want to consider a MW.

JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM

My practice has a group of OBs and a group of midwives. You pick whichever you want to see. I went with the OBs, just based on word of mouth from people I know who have gone there. I even had a friend who had seen the midwives with her first, and the doctors with her second. Word of mouth is a great thing, because first hand experiences are going to be rich with information! 

Rosehawk
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

OB and hospitals for me. I make big babies that don't fit through me, vaginally. If it weren't for doctors, and surgery, I would have died twice over while trying to bring a child into this world. This is my third baby, and will be my third, and last C-section.

CafeMom Tickers
1stpreggers
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Midwife i wanted more control in my delivery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
srm8824
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Midwife.

The care is better. They are more personal and more lentient with your choices. You are not just a patient to them. I had OB care for half of my pregnancy the first time I was pregnant and I went to a midwife and would never recommend OB care again.

momofkearra
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Thanks ladies! I've had 3 prior cesareans and have been researching intensly the risk versus advantage of VBAC and HBAC. My risks for serious complications as well as death are about equal at this point for a repeat cesarean and a trial of labor for a vbac. Your input has helped me feel more confident in following up with a midwife while seeing an obstetrician. I wish there was an office that provided both here that I could go to. I really wish I could have both, an ob on call if there are complications, a midwife bedside with me during labor and delivery.... lol. Oh how I always want what I can't have ;)

Keda84
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM
My first pregnancy was with a midwife I liked it because she gets to know you on a personal level. For my 2nd, 3rd and this pregnancy I went with a OB I still had control and love my DR.
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

A midwife, definitely. The model of care is far superior in all ways to the medical model of care, in my opinion. I've had three births with three different midwives (all natural deliveries) and each one was a different experience. My first midwife was very disrespectful of my preferences towards the end of my labor and broke my water to speed things up, which resulted in a brief shoulder dystocia (scary!). My second two midwives left me alone 100% and both babies were born in the caul and were far better experiences. My third was born in a birth center and we were home within hours. Our next will be born at home with a midwife. First two were hospital births, and it's just not for me now that I know better.

You have to find the right provider for you, though. Start with your ideal birth in mind. What do you want out of the experience? Where do you want to give birth? What are all the options you are open to? What are your concerns about other options? The possibilities are endless. Once you know what you want out of your birth, start searching for care providers that would best match those desires. Don't go to a doctor or midwife and have them fit your birth to their policies or needs. It needs to be the other way around. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Halensmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I have both! I feel so luck to belong to a practice that is across the street from the hospital and upstairs from a birthing center. We have midwives AND OBs! I have seen both. I have had two c sections so I won't be able to deliver at the birth center but if I have a VBAC (which is the goal) I will have a midwife with an OB on stand by. This is my first midwife experience. I used a wonderful OB back home. But I am just in love with this group! I have the best of both worlds! See if you have a practice near you that has both!

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I see an OB, at a single doctor practice. I'm just more comfortable with an OB.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN