Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gestational diabetes and metabolism?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have my first gestational diabetes test this afternoon.  (I've heard morning is better, but the roads are really bad around here, so I'm fine giving the plows and salt trucks plenty of time to clean them first.)  Anyway, I'm wondering whether anyone knows if your normal metabolism and way of processing sugar has any correlation with passing or failing this test.

I have always been that hated person who can eat anything she wants without gaining any weight.  I typically eat fairly healthy, small meals, but with sugary snacks in between.  I'm not saying I eat like a pig, but if you offer me cake, I'm not going to turn it down!  I can't say my diet has improved a lot during this pregnancy, but am 5'4" and was 125 lb. before pregnancy, and now I'm 28 weeks and 138 lb., so I figure that's not too bad of a weight gain, right?  I basically don't even look any different from the front lol... I turn sideways and suddenly have a baby bump.

What I'm getting at here is, if you have -- or haven't -- failed the GD test, did it seem to have anything to do with normal metabolism?  Do you think I'll probably be OK since I seem to process carbs well and maintain a healthy weight, or does that have nothing to do with it?  I know you guys aren't psychics and I'll find out in a few hours anyway, but I'm nervous about eating too much or too little before the test and what to eat.  I would love a toaster strudel for breakfast, but I'm going to go make myself an omlette instead.  I know I'll be hungry again before the test, and I don't know whether I need to worry about eating lunch, or whether I can just eat normally because my body is good at processing sugars....

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Unfortunately, this is exactly why they like to screen everybody. My mom has diabetes, so before I was pregnant, i would check myself with her meter every so often, just to check. I never had high sugars. But pregnancy can have a major effect on your ability to process things. Your placenta and hormones can throw things out of whack. Processing things for you AND baby is not the same. My perfect levels before pregnancy are gone while pregnant. I have GD, but it's not so bad... controlled with diet and medication. :) Fingers crossed for you, though!
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CutieCrab
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM

This test sucks!  That stuff is nasty! Just a warning.  I had GD with my first I'll probably have it with this baby. I have it due to genetics...  You probably won't have it.

nerdymom28
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I had a metabolism like yours with my first child - I even weighed the same (although I'm 2 inches taller) so you sound a lot like me pre-pregnancy. I did test positive for gestational diabetes. And after I had my child, that fast metabolism was gone. I struggle very hard with my weight now.

esox
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM
It is completely random. You might have it, you might not. Unfortunately gestational diabetes does not discriminate. Honestly though, I would eat normal before the one hour test. If you make yourself eat unrealistically for your normal habits then your rest results may be skewed. Even though the test itself is very unrealistic to begin.

Keep in mind, if you DO have it, its not because of something you have done. It sucks, its not fair, it makes you mad. But in the end its not that bad and won't hurt your baby.
mcmlx3v
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I did end up having a little bit of sugar/carbs shortly before the test, but I still passed it just fine with a 113.  I also thought the juice was pretty tasty.  lol

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM

The other thing is there's a huge false positive ratio with the juice test. I don't have GD - and have a high metabolism with LOW blood sugar issues, rather than diabetic tedencies.

What I do is skip that stupid juice test altogether, and jsut do a fasting blood test, then test my own sugar levels with a diabetic strip test after meals for 2-3 days and give the doctor the information, if there's signs of any issues, I'll repeat the process.

I've never had an issue with being diabetic on any other test EXCEPT that 1 hour drink test makes me very very sick and I fail it, for some reason my body has a very negative reaction to it, that I do not have to anything else that I eat.

The last time I failed it, my OB's just told me to go straight to the fasting glucose, then a regular blood test after I ate food, plus monitoring if needed with a kit at home, it's like 50 bucks and skip the sugar drink test altogether.

I've never, ever failed testing in any other form for blood sugar issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)