Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

help! c-section? naturally? meds no meds?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM
  • 57 Replies
hi! im having my first child in May and im just soo torn on what to do. I don't know what I should do. ive done a lot of research but I'm still turn. C-section, naturally, meds or no meds, water birth. there so many different options and I could use all the opinions and advice I can get.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crzemom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Don'tHaveA C Section WorseExperienceOfMyLife
KelliansMom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can avoid a c section.  I was induced with my son and had and epi and I hated it all so this time around Im letting everything go its way. Just remember c section is still a major surgery and sure it is sometimes needed but if you dont need it for medical reason then I would suggest it

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM
A good doctor won't offer c-section as an option for a normal healthy pregnancy. I've had two children. I had an epidural with the first, and no pain meds with the second. My second delivery was much better. It was great to be able to get up right away after the birth and clean up. You have to stay in bed for around 2 hours after delivery if you have an epidural, at least when I had my daughter 8 years ago. Good luck!
mss119
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
As with any major surgery, don't get a c section unless it's absolutely necessary. Google "bishop score" and become familiar with the measures it uses, it's a good tool for guessing how likely an induction will be, if your doctor recommends one. If you have an induction with a low bishop score, you're more likely to need a c section if and when the induction fails to progress
SECL
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Natural is the best!  Maybe take a childbirth class? :)

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I agree on avoiding a c-section with a healthy pregnancy. If you get a c-section this time around then if you want to go natural for a second pregnancy it will be much harder to find a doctor who will allow it. Plus it's major surgery and, in my opinion, just not worth the risk if you can deliver the way your body is made to. I don't know much about meds so not much help there. I have had 3 natural med-free IV-free births and if you go that route I would say to labor in the comfort of your home for as long as possible. :-)

HKing01
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM

My first baby was a c-section. I was a clueless first time mom and my doctor convinced me that my baby was going to be huge and get stuck because I went past my due date. He ended up weighing 9 lbs and I wish I would have tried to avoid the c-section. Since my first was a c-section my next baby was a c-section too because I didn't really know much about VBACs. Then my third was a c-section and my fourth is going to be another c-section in March. At this point doctors usually won't even consider a VBAC as an option. I am terrified of having my 4th c-section since the risks go up with each. 

sassycassy631
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM
im leaning more towards not having a c section but its so hard I just don't want to regret it later on

Quoting crzemom: Don'tHaveA C Section WorseExperienceOfMyLife
sassycassy631
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:57 PM
why did u hate the epi

Quoting KelliansMom:

If you can avoid a c section.  I was induced with my son and had and epi and I hated it all so this time around Im letting everything go its way. Just remember c section is still a major surgery and sure it is sometimes needed but if you dont need it for medical reason then I would suggest it

sassycassy631
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM
I dont want to be clueless when me and my doctor talk about it which is why I wrote this post. I haven't started talking about it yet with my doctor but I don't want her to talk me into something that I'll regret later on

Quoting HKing01:

My first baby was a c-section. I was a clueless first time mom and my doctor convinced me that my baby was going to be huge and get stuck because I went past my due date. He ended up weighing 9 lbs and I wish I would have tried to avoid the c-section. Since my first was a c-section my next baby was a c-section too because I didn't really know much about VBACs. Then my third was a c-section and my fourth is going to be another c-section in March. At this point doctors usually won't even consider a VBAC as an option. I am terrified of having my 4th c-section since the risks go up with each. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)