Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Zofran amazing for morning sickness........constipation from meds not so good!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

Started zofran on Monday and it seems to be working very well, however now I am very constapaited. My doctor warned me about this but I didn't think I would have that problem......well I do and it's very uncomfortable. I'm hoping someone has some tricks and tips for me that has gone threw the same, anyone? Please help!

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:03 PM

ugh, that was the second worst side effect from that medicine, the first was the migraines it gave me. honestly the only thing that helped was taking two colace daily, drinking water lemon water a couple times a day, and if it got really bad ask your doc which laxative is okay to take, i had to take one a couple of times but i can't remember the name, eat lots of leafy green veggies and drink tons and tons of water

thurstensmom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:33 PM

the only thing that has been working for me (I am also taking Zofran) is Milk of Magnesia I take it every couple days, I don't even go without it :( I try taking colace on the days I don't take the Milk of Magenesia but I don't think it really helps? I can't wait to be off the Zofran! I am only taking it once a day too, because my m/s is really bad in the afternoon when I need to get my kids off the bus and make dinner etc. Good Luck!

joshsmommy23
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Oh yes I remember that zofran to Well. I ended up in the hospital from being too constipated. Milk of magnesia worked for me
lost2013
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I had consipation so bad I ended up in the ER this was 3 weeks ago at 17 weeks they gave me suppositories I did not use cause they can cause cramping and I wanted to avoid that. Every night I eat a fiber one bar and I drink a cup of Miralax it took about 2-3 days to really work but it helped me. Good luck.
falloutboy
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:57 AM
I had to quit Zofran, because the constipation was worse than the severe nausea. I had never experienced anything like it in my life and once I was finally able to go, it was not a fun or pretty experience.
iHEAVENn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Rasin Bran helps.... Eat it dry.

-:Logan Jacob:--:December 1st 2007:--:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- -:My Everything:- 

-:Baby #2 is on the way:-

baby development

Butterfly_xo
by Taylor Lynn on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:33 AM

I didn't have zofran with my first. In my second pregnancy, I decided to get it so that it would be much easier to deal with caring for my son & dealing with the horrible morning sickness. Total mistake. I was poping 4 a day. I felt like it wore off so easily. Then I was CRAZY constipated. This was the worse constipation I ever felt in my entire life. I was stuck on the toilet crying... my son was crying, it was ridiculous. Then I had a miscarriage. Yup. I was in pain for a whole 8 weeks and 5 days. With this pregnancy, I've decided to tough it out like I did with ds and yes the morning sickness was bad, but at least it went away and I didn't suffer from constipation (haven't been this far & I'm 25 weeks).. and best of all- no miscarriage :) I'm not saying it caused it but I'm all natural just like with my first pregnancy. Good luck !

ms.keisha17
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM
I'm always taking zofran it really doesn't help me.
WillsMOM72
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:02 PM
I had to stop zofran because of the problem. I tried everything while taking the medicine and nothing helped.
lillettemomma
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Zofran is wicked bad..... I was on it till 22 weeks....had to go off it and got wicked sick....did some research and found out an off label.use is as a replacement for heroine when an addict is withdrawing.... And it can have withdrawl symptoms itself.....it increases serotonin in the brain which is the same feel good hormone as many drugs.... When I went off it i had a migraine that lasted a good five days straight and nothing I could take helped..and 2 weeks later I am still having stomach issues mostly constipation but also gas pains..... Also it has been banned for use during pregnancy in some European countries cause it has been shown to cause brain damage in unborn babies...... I for one will not be going back on it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)