Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Baby gaining weight to fast :(

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM
  • 24 Replies

I have gestational diabetes (diet controlled) My sugars have been under control, less than 120 most are around 100 a few ups but I cant always stay 100% good those cravings get me every once in awhile. Anyways I go in for a weekly US and last week the baby was 4.4 and this week it was 5.5!!! I know its just an estimate but thats still bad. I was going to be induced at 38 weeks just cause the DR didnt want the baby to get to huge now hes talking about inducing sooner and if the baby doesnt slow down on weight gain it will be a c-section which i dont want :( Does anyone else have this problem with the baby gaining so much weight?

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauren.m
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:44 PM
How far along are you?
Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM
I've only had one growth u/s with my GD so far and baby was about 3lbs at 27w (2 Weeks ahead). I'll have another early March and then I'll see if we are still going at the same rate. Based on baby size, i'm guessing you are 30-32w?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM

i've never had gd but what is your doctor suggesting you can do to help? 

nolongermstkn
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Do your own research, doctors cant forsee the future. I was told id need to be induced early because my baby would be 10-13 lbs. I refused, i had GD. My son was born at 38.6 wks and was only 8.5 lbs.

Again do your own research, form your own opinion. Do not let the docs scare you into something you do not want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM
With that weight being big, I assume you aren't very close to the end? I have GD and they just monitor him closely. I get weekly ultrasounds at this point (this is also because of my blood pressure) so they can keep an eye on his weight. At 35w4d he was 6lbs 9oz, which is in the normal range still (somewhere in the 60-70th percentile). There is no talk of induction based on his weight. I will be induced on my due date if I go that far, because of all the meds I'm on for my BP. How far ahead is he measuring? Are they thinking of putting you on sugar meds? Mine have helped me control my numbers so much better than just the diet. I haven't had a high number in weeks, even if I give into a craving.
Nickysnooks
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM
My first baby was 8 pounds 8 ounces at 35 weeks I had a emergency csection. He was in the nicu for a day but was extremely healthy. Hes a happy healthy 7 year old :). To me better big then small lol
iamnameless
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM
how far along are you? i dont have GD and they are worried about my babys size. i am 28weeks.
samsanders
by Samantha on Feb. 13, 2014 at 4:07 AM
I wouldn't let them induce much earlier then that. Those ultrasounds aren't that accurate. I'm sorry mama! GL
mrsgosch
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I'm almost 34 weeks now, I'm a short person and the baby is measuring small just her weight is "high" and with just about all my number being where they want them I didnt think she would gain that much especially when I didnt put on barely anything. The dr just says keep your sugars undercontrol and the baby will be fine, yet its gaining weight like crazy. I guess with my first one I dont know how big she was at what time since I had what the dr said was a good pregnancy( I disagreee with her). Maybe my babies just gain a bunch then slow down then gain again. my First was 6lbs 10 oz and the dr never said a word to me but the nurse sure did that her gestational age was 2 weeks over...maybe this dr has the right dates give or take a week since the US tech has my LMP wrong anyways according to my records im due almost a week before they have down. That means my baby is right on track from what i have read.

iamcafemom83
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Isn't the baby supposed to put on the most weight in the last few weeks? Also, it's my understanding that ultrasounds are notourious for not being very accurate with baby's weight.

If you are keeping up with everything and staying in check, I think you will be ok! Baby, too. Your dr doesn't seem to be overly concerned.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)