Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PreeClampsia?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:16 PM
  • 7 Replies

I'm 34 wks & 4 days. Monday I'll be 35 weeks. Today I went to my OB appointment and my blood pressure was upt o 140 which usually it's 127 so they drew blood and are testing me for PreeClampsia. Monday I find out if I have it when they results come back. If I do will they have to induce me? Everyone I know says they know people who had it that had to get induced and I'm just curious

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Pandapanda
by Amber on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM
You shouldn't be induced based off of bloodwork. Typically there is a 24hr urine collection done so that your protein levels can be tested. They also shouldn't be talking induction if this is the first time your bp has been high. Pre-e is characterized by continually rising or steadily high bp at the end of pregnancy.

How are you feeling? How is your diet?
LoveMyBug2013
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I would be really cautious to be induced so early on.  I would try to hold off until 37-38 weeks if at all possible.  Are there other issues going on?  Usually they will do the urine test and do more careful monitoring of you and the baby.

LeeBug32
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Not necessarily.  And as another mom mentioned, you need to have the 24 hour urine collection.  Watch your sodium intake.  It can cause swelling and high BP.  Also, one time with higher BP than usual is not so worrying.  It happens.  Try not to stress. 

Carolynishappy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I had preeclampsia with my first pregnancy. It depends on the severity of it. I had a severe case of it and was put in the hospital on bedrest at 28 weeks. They monitored my blood pressure, and the protein in my urine. I also had horrible swelling. The reason I was induced is because I started to go into kidney and liver failure. My blood pressure was 210/190 when I delivered. Just because your blood pressure is elevated doesnt mean they will induce you. If they are doing a blood test and going to wait until Monday to get the results I highly doubt they will induce you. I was sent straight to the hosiptal after my appt. I know it's hard to relax but that is the best thing you can do right now. The Dr doesn't seem to be all that worried, I have a feeling they will just keep an eye on everything for now.

*^*Carolyn*^* 

Mo1995
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Well,usally my blood pressure is 127. The dr's here aren't the brightest. lol. they make major things sound like nothing important.  The health department here is closed on Saturday's and Sunday's which is why I have to wait til' Monday which if I do have it I'm sure the lab people will go through the trouble to get ahold of me?

Devious103102
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:27 PM

It really depends on how bad things get. They should have you do a 24hr urine catch to see if there's proteins spilling into your urine, see if your BP can be stabelized with bedrest and/or meds and if not they probably will induce at 37wks, maybe sooner if things get bad.

samsanders
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:13 AM
They won't induce you that early. They'd wait until 36 weeks I would think unless something is terribly wrong they will just tell you to take it easy. I am being tested for it this Monday. But they highly doubt I have it. I am doing a 24-hour urine test and blood work. And I am 40 weeks today.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)