Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to have a shower?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM
  • 21 Replies
Im 20 weeks with my third. My other 2 are boys ages 10 and 4. This one is a girl. I really wasn't expecting a full blown shower but maybe a small celebration for the baby. I thought about buying a bigger ticket item and let people bring a pack of diapers, wipes, outfit, etc and raffle it off. Well I have a friend that told me she was having a shower for me because she is excited I'm having a girl. That would be ok but then she tells me she plans on telling everyone to come to a buffet place for them to pay for their meal. She wants to pay for a cake and my meal. That seems tacky to me. I tried to tell her maybe we should have it at a place and have some finger foods, games, and the raffle. I told her I would pay for it all. She seemed like she was offended. Am I wrong for thinking it is tacky to tell people to come to a shower at a buffet that they have to pay to enter?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsgosch
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM

My sister did hers at a buffet place and I felt the same way as you. Since its your shower you should have a say in where its at. My sister in law is from a very small town and had hers at the local firehall. Her mom and sister in-laws made some sandwiches, saldas, mints and had a cake made. For mine It was summer and I did it at a lake we just had fruit and some other finger foods with punch and cake. Of course we played games too.  Since the town we live in isnt very big either most ppl just have one at someones house and have sandwiches, chips, mints and cake seems to be the popular food choices. Maybe take a poll with some other close friends and see how they would feel having to buy a meal....

iHEAVENn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I would avoid a buffet place... 

Do it in a park with appetizers and such..

My MIL is throwing us a baby shower (She has 4 grandkids and this will be the first shower she gets to go to for one of her grandkids)   Hubby and I will more than likely buy the food, and drinks and decorations since MIL is on a very tight budget... She has a park right next to her backyard so we will probably do it there. 

-:Logan Jacob:--:December 1st 2007:--:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- -:My Everything:- 

-:Baby #2 is on the way:-

baby development

Focused_Mom
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:27 PM
I'm from a small community also. I was thinking about using the community center or our church's fellowship hall. Those finger foods are along the lines of what I was planning. I bet yours was beautiful at the lake!

Quoting mrsgosch:

My sister did hers at a buffet place and I felt the same way as you. Since its your shower you should have a say in where its at. My sister in law is from a very small town and had hers at the local firehall. Her mom and sister in-laws made some sandwiches, saldas, mints and had a cake made. For mine It was summer and I did it at a lake we just had fruit and some other finger foods with punch and cake. Of course we played games too.  Since the town we live in isnt very big either most ppl just have one at someones house and have sandwiches, chips, mints and cake seems to be the popular food choices. Maybe take a poll with some other close friends and see how they would feel having to buy a meal....

Focused_Mom
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM
I think we are going to use the community center or our church's fellowship hall. I'm glad I'm not the only one not wanting to use a buffet :-)

Quoting iHEAVENn:

I would avoid a buffet place... 

Do it in a park with appetizers and such..

My MIL is throwing us a baby shower (She has 4 grandkids and this will be the first shower she gets to go to for one of her grandkids)   Hubby and I will more than likely buy the food, and drinks and decorations since MIL is on a very tight budget... She has a park right next to her backyard so we will probably do it there. 

Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I think its weird to invite people and have them buy their own food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samsanders
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:09 AM
1 mom liked this
It is tacky yes. We had mine at a family members house with finger foods and drinks and games. It was laid back and fun! It should be up to you :)
Irene1923
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:02 AM
I agree that I wouldn't want it at a buffett either. One, around here they average $10-15 and people are already spending money on a gift. And two, it isn't very intimate and you have to worry about being too loud. I think using the community hall is a great idea. We had mine last summer for my DD at my mom's and we did cake, punch, baklava, mints, nuts, fruit, and cheese with crackers as our finger foods.
Focused_Mom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:33 AM
That's exactly how I feel. If someone is nice enough to buy a gift, I don't want them to pay for a meal. I didn't think about the noise level. It would be hard to have fun on the games there. Oh and my goodness baklava sounds so good! I love it :-)

Quoting Irene1923: I agree that I wouldn't want it at a buffett either. One, around here they average $10-15 and people are already spending money on a gift. And two, it isn't very intimate and you have to worry about being too loud. I think using the community hall is a great idea. We had mine last summer for my DD at my mom's and we did cake, punch, baklava, mints, nuts, fruit, and cheese with crackers as our finger foods.
Irene1923
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:58 AM
It is amazing! Lol. I grew up eating it and had to have it at my wedding too. But my grandmother sends it to us, so it is much cheaper.

Yeah, I went to a shower at a restaurant once and it just wasn't very fun. No one was willing to do any of the silly games and we were all afraid to laugh and carry on. We had a private section, but people kept walking by and staring at our group. I have definitely had more fun at community halls or in someone's home.

Quoting Focused_Mom: That's exactly how I feel. If someone is nice enough to buy a gift, I don't want them to pay for a meal. I didn't think about the noise level. It would be hard to have fun on the games there. Oh and my goodness baklava sounds so good! I love it :-)

Quoting Irene1923: I agree that I wouldn't want it at a buffett either. One, around here they average $10-15 and people are already spending money on a gift. And two, it isn't very intimate and you have to worry about being too loud. I think using the community hall is a great idea. We had mine last summer for my DD at my mom's and we did cake, punch, baklava, mints, nuts, fruit, and cheese with crackers as our finger foods.
Focused_Mom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM
I had it the first time a little over 3 years ago. I visited a friend that lives in Charlotte and she took me to a Greek festival. I was in love with the food, especially the baklava.

Quoting Irene1923: It is amazing! Lol. I grew up eating it and had to have it at my wedding too. But my grandmother sends it to us, so it is much cheaper.

Yeah, I went to a shower at a restaurant once and it just wasn't very fun. No one was willing to do any of the silly games and we were all afraid to laugh and carry on. We had a private section, but people kept walking by and staring at our group. I have definitely had more fun at community halls or in someone's home.

Quoting Focused_Mom: That's exactly how I feel. If someone is nice enough to buy a gift, I don't want them to pay for a meal. I didn't think about the noise level. It would be hard to have fun on the games there. Oh and my goodness baklava sounds so good! I love it :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)