Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Amniocentesis - Worth the Risk or Not?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: Would You Have a Amniocentesis If You Were Offered One?

Options:

Yes, in all cases.

Yes, but only if screening tests were positive for problems.

No

I don't know

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

i was offered to take an Amniocentesis test but i recently just did research on what an amino test is is and i think its not qualified for me but i read what happens if you dont im dont know what to do and need advice about this if i should keep or discard this appt next week? HELP!!!!!

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamAshley4
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Why are they "offering" it?? Is there a concern? Ive had 2 of them btw
unexpectedd
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM

no concern it was just offered

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM
3 moms liked this
No there is a new integrated blood screening that is over 99% accurate making the amnio virtually unnecessary!
Candie1015
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I wouldn't do it if they weren't screening for something. It can cause  you to loose your baby so not worth it in my opinion. I had one with my first but he tested positive for trisomy 13.... turns out he didn't have it but he wasn't forming right.... but I wouldn't have done it if it hadn't been for him testing positive. I figured I should be pre pared to take care of him if he did have it and it was the only way I could know. It is a long needle that goes through your muscle and everything though and if the baby moves with the needle in there it could stick him/her. Either way you know what is best for you but my opinion is pass if there is nothing wrong

Allebas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Nope! If the amnio caused me to miscarry, I could never live with myself knowing that I caused the loss of my baby b/c of choosing this test.

lillettemomma
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM
I said no with this baby she was showing signs of microcephaly or failure to thrive......The results wouldn't change my mind and it is too risky for my likings
Heather2001
by Heather on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Heck no.

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:07 PM
I would say hell no. Why are they offering it just because when its fairly risky?
lauren.m
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM
I have always refused the amniocentesis. Even back before the blood test was available I refused it. Too much risk for my liking. I wouldn't abort regardless of what it said anyhow.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Quoting lauren.m: I have always refused the amniocentesis. Even back before the blood test was available I refused it. Too much risk for my liking. I wouldn't abort regardless of what it said anyhow.

This is me exactly too! My ods is 18 and I refused it even back then and still refuse it even now, even though I'm an "older mom".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)