Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Barbaric?! Really?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:25 PM
  • 33 Replies
I'm 33 weeks pregnant with baby #4 and I'm wanting to get my tubes tied. (Please don't tell me horror stories of post tubal syndrome or whatever it's called.) I told my ob that I wanted to get it done after this baby was born and he said I have to come back 6 weeks after birth to get it done. I asked why couldn't I get I done the day after birth and he said the hospital deemed it "barbaric". That made no sense to me. I figured the uterus and tubes were still all swollen up and easier to reach that way and in 6 weeks they would be much farther down in my pelvis.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
staci1103
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Yes my OB told me the same thing.  Unfortunately I had a section but fortunately he did them right then and there.  I know myself and I wouldn't have gone back in 6 weeks to have surgery with a newborn to care for at home.  Ps no horror story from me it's the best thing I've done and I'm very happy with it

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Quoting staci1103:

Yes my OB told me the same thing.  Unfortunately I had a section but fortunately he did them right then and there.  I know myself and I wouldn't have gone back in 6 weeks to have surgery with a newborn to care for at home.  Ps no horror story from me it's the best thing I've done and I'm very happy with it

I will have an almost 3 year old and a newborn at home and really don't want to come back for surgery. I doubt I will even have anyone there to help me care for them and me around that time anyway. I will around the time of birth, but not 6 weeks later.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Interesting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samsanders
by Samantha on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Not sure. Here's a bump!
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Weird. A woman in one of my due date groups had hers tied when her baby was born (vaginally) while she was still numb from the epidural.
kcangel63
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Not sure how true, but I heard recently that it's because right after birth there's a high failure rate.

Anyone know if that's true?
Twix.Leigh
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Yea I was told 3 months post partum so that everything has a chance to heal.
toopicky429
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM
I have never heard of that before, but I don't recommend having it done so soon after birth. I had my tubes tied 24 hrs after my son was born, and reversed 2 years later due to PTLS (which I know you don't want to hear about). The hospital I delivered in refused to give my son a bottle while I was in surgery since he was breast fed, so when I came back to the floor hours later it caused me a lot of extra stress. Nothing like an angry hungry baby that won't latch because he's so mad. Do lots of research outside of talking to other people before you decide to have a tubal ligation just to be sure it is what you want to do to prevent pregnancy. Good luck!
jenbah81
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM
I had mine done in July and I had to wait 6weeks. Ended up being 10 though by the time I could get into a spot. She didn't say why but I knew it was common practice so I didn't question it.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Quoting toopicky429: I have never heard of that before, but I don't recommend having it done so soon after birth. I had my tubes tied 24 hrs after my son was born, and reversed 2 years later due to PTLS (which I know you don't want to hear about). The hospital I delivered in refused to give my son a bottle while I was in surgery since he was breast fed, so when I came back to the floor hours later it caused me a lot of extra stress. Nothing like an angry hungry baby that won't latch because he's so mad. Do lots of research outside of talking to other people before you decide to have a tubal ligation just to be sure it is what you want to do to prevent pregnancy. Good luck!

It's most definitely what I want done. I'm done having babies. I'm too old to have anymore and my body is saying no more babies. We also financially can't handle anymore kids either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN