Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

4 or more c-sections???

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM
  • 48 Replies

I know that most people say that it is safe to only have 3 c-sections, but has anyone had or know someone that has had more than 3 successful c-sections? I was forced to have a c-section with my first child and I wanted to try vbac with this baby since my husband and I want 4 children, but I'm starting to feel like I may have to have another c-section which would decrease my chances of having as many children as I want without serious complications. Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HKing01
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I will be having my 4th c-section in 1 week. My doctor doesn't seem too concerned, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I think everything will be okay, I haven't had any issues at all during any of my pregnancies.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Each cesarean increases the amount of risk during pregnancy as well as delivery substantially. Keeping that in mind, not everyone is the same. Some women cannot have more than one cesarean safely, some women can have 6+ and be okay. 

What steps are being taken to ensure a successful VBAC? What is the situation that led to your first cesarean? Why do you feel like you will end up with another cesarean?

mommy4life15
by Ashley on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a friend who had 4 c sections and her uterus was so paper thin in that c section scar that she has a chance of it rupturing and causing severe complications. Doctor said no more. However, every pregnancy is different. Some are fine and some are not.
Halensmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

If there is even a small chance you can have a vbac do it! 

LoveMiLyfe
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Quoting Pandapanda:

Each cesarean increases the amount of risk during pregnancy as well as delivery substantially. Keeping that in mind, not everyone is the same. Some women cannot have more than one cesarean safely, some women can have 6+ and be okay. 

What steps are being taken to ensure a successful VBAC? What is the situation that led to your first cesarean? Why do you feel like you will end up with another cesarean?

I have chronic hypertension so with my first child, it caused her to stop growing and I had to be induced. Well I wouldn't dialate past 5 centimeters so they had to go ahead and take her out via cesarean which I really didn't want to do, but I had no choice. Needless to say she came out perfectly healthy aside from a little jaundice. My doctor said that she needs to know if the cesarean that was done was low risk because if it was not, it's not safe at all for me to do a VBAC. I've been doing good with this pregnancy and my blood pressure has been better than ever without any meds, so health wise, im good. The only problem is, we keep requesting the surgery documents from the hospital to see if it was low-risk or not and we still haven't gotten anything back. If we don't get the info back, I would much rather go with the c-section than to put myself and my baby at risk.

LoveMiLyfe
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Quoting HKing01:

I will be having my 4th c-section in 1 week. My doctor doesn't seem too concerned, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I think everything will be okay, I haven't had any issues at all during any of my pregnancies.

Maybe there is no cause for concern with this c-section. You definitely give me hope bowing down

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:47 PM
3 moms liked this
That's what is called a failure to progress cesarean and it is almost always considered an elective surgery and will say so in the surgery reports.

You did have a choice and you still do. Even if you had a high risk pregnancy before does not mean every pregnancy or delivery will be high risk. "If you don't know your options, you don't have any."

Contact your local ICAN chapter and get in touch with ImprovingBirth

Quoting LoveMiLyfe:

Quoting Pandapanda:

I have chronic hypertension so with my first child, it caused her to stop growing and I had to be induced. Well I wouldn't dialate past 5 centimeters so they had to go ahead and take her out via cesarean which I really didn't want to do, but I had no choice. Needless to say she came out perfectly healthy aside from a little jaundice. My doctor said that she needs to know if the cesarean that was done was low risk because if it was not, it's not safe at all for me to do a VBAC. I've been doing good with this pregnancy and my blood pressure has been better than ever without any meds, so health wise, im good. The only problem is, we keep requesting the surgery documents from the hospital to see if it was low-risk or not and we still haven't gotten anything back. If we don't get the info back, I would much rather go with the c-section than to put myself and my baby at risk.

LoveMiLyfe
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it! I will definitely look into that.

Quoting Pandapanda: That's what is called a failure to progress cesarean and it is almost always considered an elective surgery and will say so in the surgery reports.

You did have a choice and you still do. Even if you had a high risk pregnancy before does not mean every pregnancy or delivery will be high risk. "If you don't know your options, you don't have any."

Contact your local ICAN chapter and get in touch with ImprovingBirth

Quoting LoveMiLyfe:

Quoting Pandapanda:

sandersmomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My friend just had her 6th csec a few months ago. It's all up to you and your body. I am due w my 3rd and will be trying for a vba2c in may

Quoting LoveMiLyfe:

I know that most people say that it is safe to only have 3 c-sections, but has anyone had or know someone that has had more than 3 successful c-sections? I was forced to have a c-section with my first child and I wanted to try vbac with this baby since my husband and I want 4 children, but I'm starting to feel like I may have to have another c-section which would decrease my chances of having as many children as I want without serious complications. Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.

LoveMiLyfe
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Wow 6 is definitely the most I've heard so far. I'm not due until June, but I think I'm going to try for the vbac and if it doesn't work out, its ok. At least now I know there are people who have had more than 3 c-sections. I feel a lot better now.

Quoting sandersmomma: My friend just had her 6th csec a few months ago. It's all up to you and your body. I am due w my 3rd and will be trying for a vba2c in may
Quoting LoveMiLyfe:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)