Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Genetically Modified Human--The perfect baby/child

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:28 PM
  • 190 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was just watching the news and they were talking about how scientist in the US are testing to make the 'perfect baby', one free of genetic diseases. 

It would require an egg from 2 different women and sperm from one man. They would pull the good DNA from one egg and put it into the other good egg and then implant it. They've tested it out on a monkeys so far with good results. They've gone as far as preparing the egg but not implanting it with a human.

What do you think? Is this going too far? Would you consider having it done?

Here is a link to the segment that was on GMA.

According to this link, provided by a member in the replies, it has actually be done in a human, with success. A living breathing girl who is currently a teenager. Knowing that it's already been done, successfully, on a human, would that change how you feel about it?

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heather2001
by Heather on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM
9 moms liked this

That's not right, IMO.  No way would I have that done.

Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM
11 moms liked this
It's going WAY too far, imo. No, I would never even consider it and think it's a shame that scientists are screwing with nature like this just because they can. Spend your brain power and money finding causation for some of these things but don't mess with basic DNA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alluring
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM
6 moms liked this
I'd honestly consider it. One of the biggest reasons I'm so stressed is that I don't want to pass anything onto a baby.
WifeAndMom99
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Do you have any known genetics things to pass on?

Quoting Alluring: I'd honestly consider it. One of the biggest reasons I'm so stressed is that I don't want to pass anything onto a baby.

WifeAndMom99
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Everything is genetically modified anymore. It's crazy. I lean towards it going too far, too. I can see why someone would want to do this...especially if there is something genetic that runs in the family.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: It's going WAY too far, imo. No, I would never even consider it and think it's a shame that scientists are screwing with nature like this just because they can. Spend your brain power and money finding causation for some of these things but don't mess with basic DNA

Alluring
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't know if it's genetic but I would not wish my eye problems on anyone. I'm the only one in my family who has these problems that we know of but I don't know if I can pass it or not. I am certainly not saying yes to this to have a "designer baby" or anything like that.
Quoting WifeAndMom99:

Quoting Alluring: I'd honestly consider it. One of the biggest reasons I'm so stressed is that I don't want to pass anything onto a baby.

WifeAndMom99
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I didn't think you were, lol. I was just curious, that's all. I know I worried about passing something on to my kids, even though we don't really have anything genetic in our family. Can I ask-and you don't need to answer-but what is your eye problem?

Quoting Alluring: We don't know if it's genetic but I would not wish my eye problems on anyone. I'm the only one in my family who has these problems that we know of but I don't know if I can pass it or not. I am certainly not saying yes to this to have a "designer baby" or anything like that.
Quoting WifeAndMom99:

Roxygurl
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Actually they've already done it with a human, the story came out a few months back. The kid is a teen now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WifeAndMom99
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Really? Do you have a link to the story? Was it done here in the US or out of country?

I should probably edit my post, to say here in the US, in case it's been done in other countries.

Quoting Roxygurl: Actually they've already done it with a human, the story came out a few months back. The kid is a teen now.

Roxygurl
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Us, lemme see if I can find a link.

Quoting WifeAndMom99:

Really? Do you have a link to the story? Was it done here in the US or out of country?

Quoting Roxygurl: Actually they've already done it with a human, the story came out a few months back. The kid is a teen now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN