Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

NURSES please read this!

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:22 PM
  • 43 Replies
I have two children, almost 4 and 2 years old. And one on the way. I just changed my major to "pre-nursing" and am taking Anatomy & Physiology. I would really love love LOVE to be a nurse. I'm about to be 28 years old, my husband is in the military so can leave for months at a time. Soon to be leaving for 3 or 4 months or even a deployment. I just don't know if it's REALISTIC to start nursing. With courses like these I know I won't be able to take more than one per semester. And during all this time I will have to pay for childcare. I need help. Just how hard is the nursing program? Is it very unrealistic? Any and ALL input would be GREAT!!! Thank you so much!!
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LTryon
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Bump... Because I'm planning on switching my major to nursing as well, so I'm curious to see others opinions too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RyansMommie07
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:39 PM

school was 2 years of hell, the hours were long and the work was tedious. but if you have someone to help with the kids, go for it. it is a rewarding career. try and get ALL of your pre-reqs done before going into the program. the actual classes are like taking 2 a+p classes per semester, plus clinical time which is in a hospital or nursing home and you dont usually get to pick where, thats 1 or 2 days per week for 12 hours. in the end it is worth it, but youll feel like pullng your hair out for most of the program. (that is a 2 year aas rn program) theres also lpn night programs and such, but i dont know much about them

Heather2001
by Heather on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It's really in how bad you want it.  People have made it work in harder circumstances.  You just have to know your limits and work around your obstacles.  Good luck with your decision!

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:40 PM
It is tough. One issue is that many programs, once you get into the nursing program are full time by their schedule with little flexibility. I would talk to someone in the nursing program at your school for more details. Good luck!
Wright68
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM
That's exactly it too. It's a 2 year program and I only get 3 years to complete it. The weekend 2 year program is STRICT.

Quoting toopicky429: It is tough. One issue is that many programs, once you get into the nursing program are full time by their schedule with little flexibility. I would talk to someone in the nursing program at your school for more details. Good luck!
Wright68
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Thank you. This is very great information for me to get an idea of how hard it will be. Unfortunately I won't have help with the kids. I will have to pay for child care and will also have a new baby this year.

Quoting RyansMommie07:

school was 2 years of hell, the hours were long and the work was tedious. but if you have someone to help with the kids, go for it. it is a rewarding career. try and get ALL of your pre-reqs done before going into the program. the actual classes are like taking 2 a+p classes per semester, plus clinical time which is in a hospital or nursing home and you dont usually get to pick where, thats 1 or 2 days per week for 12 hours. in the end it is worth it, but youll feel like pullng your hair out for most of the program. (that is a 2 year aas rn program) theres also lpn night programs and such, but i dont know much about them

MommyLuvsAK
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:16 PM
I'm in lpn school right now...I have a 4 yr old 3 yr old and one on the way in June...days after I graduate god willing and I plan on continuing to RN right after...i am definitely sacrificing a lot but in the end I know it will be worth it. Do a pro and con chart
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck!
Curlgurl
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM
I got my bachelor's right out of high school before hubby or kids and it was tough and I was going full time. There were a lot of people in my class with families that did it but you definitely have to be committed. Good luck! Nursing is an awesome career with many possibilities. I love my job!!!
rock.starPWR
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:20 AM
I did my two year before I was married or had kids and it was hell. Lots of sleepless nights, constant studying, stress. I can't imagine what it'd have been like with kids. A lot of the people who started the program with kids ended up dropping out. Nursing takes dedication and the desire to achieve your goal. I went back two years later for my BSN, I did it online, had a husband and child. It was easy work, just a lot of it. It was all worth it, I love my job. I work float pool in the hospital, so I've worked in almost every area of nursing by now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)