Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby shower yes or no?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM
  • 161 Replies
I am crrently 31 weeks pregnant with my second child this one is a girl. I had my son almost 5 years ago. I had a baby shower for my son some people say your only suppose to have one shower for ur first child and others
have said u can have one for a boy and one for a girl. People keep asking if im going to have one but honestly I dont know many people that would even come other then family. So I just said no. But I've been think about maybe just having something small and invite a few people but I dont even know if ur suppose to throw ur own. Has anyone ever thrown thier own baby shower? How did it turn out?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:31 PM
10 moms liked this

I've never thrown my own shower, nor would I.  However, I am on baby #3 and just had my third baby shower.  All 3 thrown by my 2 best friends.  I am one who believes that ALL babies should be celebrated.  It is not this baby's fault that he/she wasn't born first...

This third shower had about 15-18 guests and was nice and quiet.  It's a surprise gender and I got a nice diaper stock pile.  I have a lovely invitation and photos for Peanut's baby book. 

huntersmommy91
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM
I dont even know if anyone would throw me one. My side of the family dont really have the extra cash too they just been buying baby girl things here and there. His side I dont really talk to. none of them seem interested in even being a part of it they were all pretty much disappointed in him because we went together very long when I got pregnant. Hopefully they will come around tho. I was thinking about doing it tho because it would help us out alot with all the little stuff since we already bought all the big things

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I've never thrown my own shower, nor would I.  However, I am on baby #3 and just had my third baby shower.  All 3 thrown by my 2 best friends.  I am one who believes that ALL babies should be celebrated.  It is not this baby's fault that he/she wasn't born first...

This third shower had about 15-18 guests and was nice and quiet.  It's a surprise gender and I got a nice diaper stock pile.  I have a lovely invitation and photos for Peanut's baby book. 

Devious103102
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:24 AM
4 moms liked this

If you want one, have it. In both DH's family and mine we have showers for each baby, regardless of age gap/gender. I'm the only one who didn't (only had them with DD1) because showers give me anxiety (I don't like being the center of attention).

Pagan_Mommy84
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:42 AM

My best friend is throwing me a 'baby sprinkle' because I had a shower with my twin boys years ago.  it's just a bit smaller...I've never thrown my own, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it :)

Pregnancy Ticker
LeKendria
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:25 AM
7 moms liked this
I think everyone should have a shower with each child. Yes. Throw your own and enjoy it.
cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:47 AM
No I haven't because people begged to throw me on but I would have had they not
LoveMyBug2013
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM
17 moms liked this

A shower is to welcome the mother into motherhood.  Throwing your own is saying "Ooh!  ooh!  Buy me gifts!" and is pretty rude.  It is generally a gift from a close friend/family member.  In most circles it's not usually okay to have a second shower.

However, you can have a "meet-the-baby" party when the baby is born in order to celebrate that baby's birth. 

skuzzie
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My mil has done one for all of mine I'm currently pregnant with #4 and shes planning one for next month and having my oldest daughter 9 help my daughter is super excited :)
Mrs.Smith080808
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree with every baby should be celebrated.  My gf just had baby number 4 and she had showers for every one of her babies.  Her sister put them all on but I think if no one else will put it on go for it.  Even if you have a "meet the baby" party right after they are born.  I am also not one to care what other people think.  If they think its tacky and rude, then they dont need to come and you dont want their energy around your baby anyways.

LoveMiLyfe
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Everybody I know has had a baby shower with each one of their kids. I say if you want one, go for it! My cousin threw her own baby shower, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)