Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pets and Babies!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM
  • 7 Replies
How did your animals react to you bringing you're new born home? Honestly, I'm worried my dog will become depressed because he won't be able to have all of the attention on him. He's not harmful or mean in anyway so I'm not worried he would hurt the baby, by any means at all. What was the best way for you to introduce your newborn to the pets? I just love my dog so much, he is my child as well. Tips, advice, your experience, ect!
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lauren.m
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Have someone take things from the hospital with your baby's scent on it and set them places where baby will be. Like a blanket on the couch or a hat on a chair etc. When you get home with baby have the dog smell him/her and don't jerk baby away or make the dog feel nervous. As long as the dog is generally mild tempered it shouldn't be a problem at all
nicbruuu
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Well, like I said I'm not worried about him hurting the baby, I'm worried about him getting jealous and depressed because he can't get the attention he's been used to! But thank you(:!!! The scent thing is probably a good idea!

Quoting lauren.m: Have someone take things from the hospital with your baby's scent on it and set them places where baby will be. Like a blanket on the couch or a hat on a chair etc. When you get home with baby have the dog smell him/her and don't jerk baby away or make the dog feel nervous. As long as the dog is generally mild tempered it shouldn't be a problem at all
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Our cars were curious, but didn't care. After the smelled him a few times and realized they were staying life went in. LUCKILY we had no territorial marking happening.

Most people I know with dogs, their dogs usually became little guardians of the baby. My sister's dog sleep on the floor of the nursery by the bed now, or right outside the door if it's closed.
iamnameless
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 3:51 PM
My teacup Chihuahua I had would climb up and sit on my shoulder while I nursed baby and as baby got old she started laying on baby's tummy while I nursed. I miss my Chihuahua. :-(
oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 4:06 PM

bring a recieving blanket with you to the hospital and once you have him wrap the baby in the blankent and when your husband leaves let him take the blanket with him and have the dog sniff it so he can get use to the smell. we did that when i had my daughter once we brought her home he was a lil jealous of my mom and i holding her, it took a week or two for him to get use to her around the house. congrates.

srm8824
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM
My dog didn't really care much about my DS. He sniffed him and that was about it.
lost2013
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM
My in laws watched my three dogs at their house when they went home after visiting us they took one of the hats my DD wore that day for them to sniff. At first my dogs did not even care she was there except for my one dog who had to know where the baby was and who had her. They were really good about it. Now they run from her or lick her but she is an energetic 2 year old. Hoping they will be as laid back as they were with her with the new baby in June.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)