Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

switching doctors

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:21 AM
  • 8 Replies

have you ever switched OBGYN's when you found out you were pregnant? i genuinely love my doctor, she is very patient and kind, but since i found out im pregnant they have screwed up faxing the blood work script twice causing undue stress, and i just refuse to give birth in the hospital she has privelages at. every family member that was ever admitted to that hospital died there, where as the other hospital chain in my area has saved everyone that was admitted there (and my dad had the same aortic aneurysm rupture that the actor John Ritter died from yet he survived.) however the practices in the area that have privelages there give you a different doc for every visit then someone totally different delivers your kid and im not comfortable with that either. i have a call into my local midwifery center but its been almost a week and no call to set up the consultation. 

have you ever switched? does your practice make you see a different doctor every time? how does that make you feel? 

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rosehawk
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I was 8 months pregnant with my first when I found out that the doctor I'd been seeing didn't deliverher patients. That was the last time I went to her. I went to another clinic, closer to the hospital, that delivered their patients. I wound up with a complete stranger delivering my son, but I had at least seen her around the clinic before I had my son.

My second was delivered by our family doctor. She was a planned C-section so I didn't see anyone else. That clinic did have patients see other doctors near the end of their pregnancy just to get to know the other doctors in case one of them was on-call, and not their regular doctor.

This one is also a planned C-section, so I don't think I'll be seeing anyone else.

CafeMom Tickers
KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Both times I've had to switch clinics midway through the pregnancy for different reasons. All four clinics have made me see a variety of doctors. There is no telling who will be delivering my baby. I'd rather my regular OB, but in my area this type of care of the only choice.

Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM
I switched with my 4th because the practice I went to with my sons no longer had midwives (mine left in the middle of my 3rd pregnancy. I should have left then). I see my midwife for every appointment but she may or may not deliver my child. Just depends on if she's the midwife on call or not. But at least I will have a midwife not an ob. I'm driving an hour one way to deliver instead of the 5-10min it would've taken to get to the hospital I delivered my 1st 3.
Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM
This is pretty common in most practices anymore at least around me.

Quoting KREX0914:

Both times I've had to switch clinics midway through the pregnancy for different reasons. All four clinics have made me see a variety of doctors. There is no telling who will be delivering my baby. I'd rather my regular OB, but in my area this type of care of the only choice.

Larsbug
by Laura on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM

never switched, love my doctor and the hospitals

Kt6713
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:10 PM

i can understand if its a different person on call the day of, but wouldnt they introduce him/her to you prior to it? like if i knew i wasnt the oncall doctor prior to a patients due date i would call and let them know, hey so and so is going to be on that night, would you like me to see if he can squee you in for a consultation? i know emergencies pop up so that cant always be arrainged but if i ran a practice that made its patients see a different doctor every time i would make sure over the course of their prenatal care that they met every doctor so they dont end up with a stranger that has no idea what this mothers plan is or what her fears and concerns are. maybe thats just me

SecondChance709
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I switched from my ob to only midwives and I see a few different midwives each visit. Who ever is on call the day/night I go into labor will be there with me to deliver the baby, it doesn't bother me. 

iamnameless
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM
I had to switch with my third because of insurance. Our local hospital sucks! I don't go there for medical emergencies however they do great delivering babies. Just keep looking for doctors maybe check out other hospitals a little further away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)