Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Did you get any bad reactions when you announced your pregnancy?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 31 Replies

15 Things Not to Say After a Woman Tells You She's Pregnant 

Posted by Mary Fischer 

Mary FischerHands down, one of the best parts of being pregnant is when you reach the point where you can finally share the happy news with others. Keeping such an exciting secret is so tough, and that's why it's so much fun to finally shout "I'm pregnant!" from the rooftops and see all of the happy reactions from family and friends.

But sometimes we don't exactly get the over-the-top ecstatic response that we're expecting -- or at least I definitely didn't from one very important person. My own grandfather made me feel like total crap after I broke the news to him over the phone. (Yes, as much as I love him, I'm still annoyed seven years later.)

Soooo -- want to know what dear old Gramps said to me? After I blurted out, "I'm pregnant!" his exact words were:

"Oh. I guess you're trying to make me feel older."

I don't remember what my response to him was after hearing that comment -- but I do know I felt as though he'd burst my bubble. I know he didn't mean any harm or anything like that, but his words were still a total buzz kill. (And I'll never forget them.)

More from The Stir5 Hilarious & Heartwarming Reactions to Pregnancy Announcements (VIDEOS)

But there are plenty of other things no pregnant woman ever wants to hear after sharing her big news -- such as anything similar to these 15 comments.

1. "Is it mine? Oh, really? Are you sure?"

2. "Time to break out the fat clothes!"

3. "Well, I guess your life is officially over then ... [followed by bouts of uncontrollable laughter]."

4. "Does this mean you're going to quit your job?"

5. "Gee. I guess you & the hubby were REALLY busy on your honeymoon."

6. "WHAT?! How could you let something like this happen?"

7. "Are you NUTS? You're way too young/old to have a baby!"

8. "Huh. Have you told the father yet? Do you think he'll be ok with it?"

9. "Do you even know who the father is?"

10. "Ok -- so when are you two getting married, then?"

11. "How do you think you're going to afford a kid on your salary?"

12. "When your father hears about this, he's going to lose his mind."

13. "Oh no! Did the condom break? What are you going to do?!"

14. "Ugh! Does this mean you can't drink with me anymore? Thanks a lot."

15. "I wondered why you've been looking so rough lately."

Did you get any bad reactions when you announced your pregnancy?

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM
No, not for any of my 3pgs. The first and third actually got a lot of "finally" or "it's about time"! Our plans to have 3 kids were known to everyone though so each pg was expected by friends and family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcmlx3v
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I told my half sisters, with whom I have a somewhat rocky relationship, and they were kind of like, "Oh, cool," and then went right back to what they were doing.  Yet when I announced the gender on facebook before telling them in person, they got all mad at me for not telling family first.  Whatever... that's just how they are.  lol

srm8824
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

With my first, at 18, I got a lot of crappy reactions. Regardless of age, people should NEVER be that inconsiderate and/or nosy. It made a hard situation even harder. :(

This time around, at 25, I got no bad reactions except my grandma did tell me my "life was over" with having two kids instead of one.

RADmomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM
With my first my parents weren't negative but they were concerned for me. We had only been together 8 months when I got pregnant... But once they realized he wasn't going to run... They were ok!

Everyone was shocked a little with our second. We didn't tell anyone we were trying! And there was 5 years between my girls!!

After our second was born we were done!! No more kids for us!! When people asked if we would try for a boy we would shout NO!!! Lol

Well apparently we weren't done be ause here we are expecting #3 only 15 months after baby #2!!!

My mom was slightly negative in her response... But only be ause she figured we were disappointed because we only wanted two... Once she realized that we were ok with another she let out her hidden excitement!!
KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM

My mother's only reaction was, "Maybe you'll get a boy this time."
I only have one other child, a girl. She had me (the oldest) and then three boys.
Until that moment, I did not realize how little female children were valued to her.

My grandpa and my borther both asked, "Is it your husbands?"

JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Nope. We had been trying for 2.5 years. Everyone was overjoyed. 

My best friend and her husband really got a lot of negativity when they got pregnant last year, though. I'll just say the situation wasn't ideal, and leave it at that. 

Chaos1229
by Tasha on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't find out with my oldest until i was 8 weeks. When the nurse told us how far along i was he said "where was i when this happend " . I almost slapped him lol.
ms_shantelleigh
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Neither of my parents were too thrilled all because they thought I wasn't ready financially & the fact that my bf & I weren't even married. My mom had asked me if I was getting an abortion and I told her hell no! And when we had told my dad on a different day, he had the look of disappointment and walked out the house saying we need to go home (meaning my bf and I. Then later on they accepted it and now their (especially my dad) is totally in love with my baby girl :). My mom is still bugging me about a ring on my finger though haha
LoveVenus
by Venus on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I am 30 and I recently so my mom that i'm having another baby and she told me off like I was 15 y/o or something..LMAO!! I have a great job and so does my husband.Yes I am legally married.She said wtf are you going to do with 4 kids lmao all I can do is laugh.So I told her.Ummm, hmmm let me think,I suppose i'll raise this one to be as smart, kind and rspectful just as I did with the other 3 LMAO.She is just too much

smurfy88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM
I didn't really get any bad reactions but now I'm 22 weeks and I am so sick of the focus always being on my belly. Everyone wants to see it or have a picture of it and I am sick of it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)