Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I already know I'll get bashed over this...but

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:25 AM
  • 426 Replies
6 moms liked this

*SIGH*

I'm 3 months pregnant and I can't quit smoking.

There, I said it.

First of all...  to ALL the bashers that are sure to follow...Yes, I know the risk. and Yes, I know it's selfish.

I have talked with my Doctor and she told me that the best thing to do is to cut back gradually. That trying to quit cold turkey is worse for the baby than having a few a day.

I have at least started that. At work yesterday I only had 2 cigarettes for an 8 hour shift. (that's actually REALLY good considering I was a pack a day smoker)

This morning instead of grabbing one as soon as I woke up, I waited a few hours and we are no longer smoking in the house. So at least it's a start.. The main thing that scares me is that with my first pregnancy I was young & dumb and I didn't even try to cut back. My daughter was born a healthy weight and size. The Pregnancy was full term as well (She was late! lol) She is hardly ever sick, no breathing issues, and she is top of her class. . . I have heard mothers say the same thing, They smoked during one pregnancy and the baby was fine... They quit with another and the baby had issues.

I'm not saying by any means that smoking is good for you or the baby. I am not saying that it's a preventitive measure either. I am just terrified that I'm going to quit smoking and put in all the effort just for my baby to be born with problems like I never quit at all.

I'm just nervous I guess.. Go ahead and bash away because I know that there are some nasty, immature people on here...

My question is, "How many of you smoked during pregnancy? and were your children okay?"

Also I would like to point out (because I know some ignorant somebody is going to say something)

No... What other mothers have or have not done is not in any way going to affect my decision to quit smoking. I want to quit anyway... Not just for the baby but for myself.

So with that being said... 3...2...1....go.

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bbyblueAK
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM
5 moms liked this
Hugs momma im sure its hard. You will do what is best for you.
tairakittie
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM
7 moms liked this

I smoked during both my pregnancies, with my first up until she was born and even after, I quit when I was 32 weeks along with my second. He did have some slight breathing issues after birth, but that also could have been caused by me being induced and could have had nothing to do with my smoking. They are now 4 and 6, no breathing issues, they are both happy, smart and healthy. Im due with number 3 in July and even though I havent smoked cigs with this one, I have smoked some marijuana *gasp*, but I really dont think that effects the baby either, as I smoked weed with my previous pregnancies also.

Pretty sure I'll get bashed for that... and I have also done my research.

briellesmomma
by Velvet on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I didn't stop until 17 days ago. I'm 7 months pregnant. I smoked DD's whole pregnancy.

If you really want to stop, you will. If not, you'll make excuses. I did. I was tired of spending the money and hurting my babies. So I just stopped cold turkey. It's hard as fuck but it's what's best. The first 7-10 days are brutal. Have a plan to distract yourself or replacement like an e cig.

Good luck.
LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM
7 moms liked this
And what did your research tell you about drugs during pregnancy?

Quoting tairakittie:

I smoked during both my pregnancies, with my first up until she was born and even after, I quit when I was 32 weeks along with my second. He did have some slight breathing issues after birth, but that also could have been caused by me being induced and could have had nothing to do with my smoking. They are now 4 and 6, no breathing issues, they are both happy, smart and healthy. Im due with number 3 in July and even though I havent smoked cigs with this one, I have smoked some marijuana *gasp*, but I really dont think that effects the baby either, as I smoked weed with my previous pregnancies also.

tairakittie
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM
11 moms liked this

That smoking anything is not good for the baby, as it take oxygen away no matter what you smoke, but marijuana has had no adverse effect on the fetus or baby. The worst thing that will happen is DCF or child services can get involved if the baby tests positive after birth, which is a pretty horrible consequence if you ask me, considering alcoholics can have babies with fetal alcohol syndrome and get to keep their babies, or babies born to moms who were addicted to pills, those poor babies have to detox for a week or two, but STILL get to go home with their parents.

Quoting LuvMyBoys09: And what did your research tell you about drugs during pregnancy?
Quoting tairakittie:

Lilypie Maternity tickers

April620
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM
27 moms liked this

Wow.  Smh.  I think it's really gross you smoked in the house even after having your daughter.

WillowRose24
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:55 AM
10 moms liked this

Quoting April620:

Wow.  Smh.  I think it's really gross you smoked in the house even after having your daughter.

Hmm... Didn't take long for you people to come out of the wood work did it? :)

angelizedsinz
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this
I did on and off with my last son. He weighed more than my first who I quit right away with. I'm about 15 weeks, and I've stopped (maybe 1 on the weekend), and it's killing me. I'm coughing so violently, I'm throwing up. Everything I've read says it's normal and your body's healing blah blah blah. I want to smoke just to stop the damn coughing...irony. With my last baby, my dr. said it causes birth problems when you smoke at least a pack a day. My 1 every few days wasn't ideal, but it was better than what I was doing before I was pregnant. I know it's hard, but keep trying. Pm me if you ever need a pep talk lol.
WillowRose24
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting angelizedsinz: I did on and off with my last son. He weighed more than my first who I quit right away with. I'm about 15 weeks, and I've stopped (maybe 1 on the weekend), and it's killing me. I'm coughing so violently, I'm throwing up. Everything I've read says it's normal and your body's healing blah blah blah. I want to smoke just to stop the damn coughing...irony. With my last baby, my dr. said it causes birth problems when you smoke at least a pack a day. My 1 every few days wasn't ideal, but it was better than what I was doing before I was pregnant. I know it's hard, but keep trying. Pm me if you ever need a pep talk lol.

See?? Thank you. This is what I was looking for instead of the "oh you're so gross, such a bad mom, blah blah" So I am going to say THANK YOU once again. I will pm you.. The horrible smoking mother has to take her daughter to school since we had a two hour delay... It was like 50 and sunny yesterday (while I had to work) Today on my day off... We wake up to icy roads and two inches of snow. WTF Mother nature?! W...T...F?

Rain2Rinse
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:03 AM
16 moms liked this
Are you saying that she's bashing you because she does not agree with your choices?

I also think it's gross to smoke in a house, especially where children reside. And, yes, I also think it is selfish and irresponsible to continue smoking after you make the decision the continue on with a pregnancy.

Ultimately they are your choices, though, and your decisions. If quitting is what you want, I wish you the best. I hope it is as easy as possible. I've heard that to quit smoking is a real bitch. If you don't want to quit, that's your choice, too.

Happy and healthy pregnancy to you! :)

Quoting WillowRose24:

Quoting April620:

Hmm... Didn't take long for you people to come out of the wood work did it? :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)