Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Postpartum bleeding/pads/panties question

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM
  • 49 Replies

For the moms who have been through this before...

Everything I have read about postpartum bleeding makes it sound like Niagra Falls is going to be gushing from my loins.  I'm going shopping today and I have a coupon for Always pads.  For my periods, I have always used Always ultra-thin, and that's been enough.  I've got some of the nice long overnight ones.  For postpartum bleeding, do I really need to get those puffy, diaper-like maxi pads that my mother used?  Or can I just use my period pads?  If it's really going to be awful enough that I need the inch-thick pads, why not just buy some Depends and throw those on instead?  I know the hospital will provide pads while I'm there, but this is for when I come home.

Also, I've been reading through "hospital bag checklists" and they say to bring maternity underwear unless you want to wear the hospital's disposable underwear.  Well, I don't have any maternity underwear.  I've been wearing my normal, pre-pregnancy underwear all the way through.  It just rides slighly lower now, so I've got a little bit of plumber fashion happening in the back, if you know what I mean.  If I just bring my regular panties to the hospital, is the Red Sea going to leak out the back?  Do I need something that comes halfway up my ribs in order to hold whatever massive maxi pads they will give me?  Or will I be OK with my normal undies?

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:43 PM
I did wear depends after my last lol. Much easier :). It's different for every woman and every birth. You might bleed a lot and you might not. I would say use what you have and if you decide you need something more get it then. As far as underwear I never had maternity underwear either. I just bought some bigger underwear I could throw away when I was done. I was worried I'd ruin my good underwear
Jessica6410
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM

You do bleed a lot at first but at the hospital that I've delivered at they provide one large pack of the big ones to use in the hospital and I usually ended up taking the left over of that home and after that I didn't use the super thick ones anymore. And the hospital I delivered at also had you wear these mesh-like, huge, one-size fits all granny panties with their giant pads but once I left the hospital I wore my normal underwear. 

ConcernedCousin
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I used the HUGE padded underwear my hospital gave cause I always bled enough for ten people. Last baby, I simply brought depends with me and used those so I could walk around and move without worrying about a flemsy pad moving out of place

alkakfnxcpoem
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM
This. The bleeding was like a heavy period for a few days then tapered off very slowly. Mine did last for like five weeks which was annoying, but for the last few weeks I just used a panty liner.
At the hospital I used the mesh undies (comfy!) and the giant pads. I used up all the giant pads they gave me but I didn't really need to. After a couple days I used always infinity and didn't have any leaks.
Also my hospital gave me ice pads which we're amazing but not as absorbent. I highly recommend them.

Quoting Jessica6410:

You do bleed a lot at first but at the hospital that I've delivered at they provide one large pack of the big ones to use in the hospital and I usually ended up taking the left over of that home and after that I didn't use the super thick ones anymore. And the hospital I delivered at also had you wear these mesh-like, huge, one-size fits all granny panties with their giant pads but once I left the hospital I wore my normal underwear. 

lillucky8
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM
I bought one big bag of walmart brand enormous overnight pads, and i asked the hospital for extra stock when i went home. I wore the hospitals fancy mesh panties...why create more yucky laundry?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovleopards
by Elyssia on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM
When I had my daughter I used the hospitals mesh panties, they are really comfortable especially if you have a c section (this is what I had)
Now due to having the c section I did wear brief panties for a bit because I didn't want it to rub the incision. I used stayfree overnight when I got home.
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:04 PM

The first few days were massive for me, but my period is also QUITE heavy. So yes I did wear those ginormous ones for maybe the first week. I just felt better knowing there was a large cushion there ready to absorb, lol. After that It was completely fine to wear normal period pads. The bleeding actually tapered off rather quickly (around 3 weeks or so) with my second.

I bought some full "granny panties" specifically for postpartum bleeding so that if I leaked and ruined them I didn't care. (Hanes I think, it was 10 pair for like $12 or something at Walmart).

JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM
The big pads the hospital provided and the mesh underwear were super helpful at first, because it IS pretty much like a river. lol Everyone is different, of course. But it can be a lot, and it can come and go. It took me off guard a few times. I would have nothing for hours and then random gushes. I like Always Infinity pads. I've been using the overnights because they're bigger and control it better. I'm 12 days out and about ready to switch to my normal pads (regular Always with wings).
mkjordan307
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM

With my first it was horrible bleeding for the first couple of days. The second baby it was bad for about the first day and then tappered off to a normal period bleed. I would suffest getting the extra long overnights because you never know its better to be well prepared then under prepared. 

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I wear depends the first week or so. Till the heavy bleeding stops and then thicker pads.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN