Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

hoped for natural....having a c-section....

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:44 AM
  • 45 Replies
So, I am 4 days past my due date now. Baby is in a weird position, still not engaged, and I haven't dilated at all. Also, had an ultrasound today and baby is measuring at 9lbs 15oz! Holy buckets!
My c-section is being scheduled for next Tuesday and, of course, I'm a bit nervous.....so, just curious if anyone has any words of wisdom or encouragement..like I said, I really wanted so badly to go totally natural....so it kind of feels like a part of the whole experience is being taken away....though I know its out of my control and I'll still have a beautiful baby girl or boy at the end of the day...just working on wrapping my head around the whole thing....
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaggieO
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I had wanted to go all natural and ended up having a c-section.  I won;t pretend I didn;t have some hard feelngs, but in the end what I was most happy about was having a healthy baby boy.  I was able to BF- no problem.  You will have some healing time, but it's not too bad.  Congratulations on your new baby! 

TianaH808
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
When I was pregnant with my son I was the same way. I was convinced that I was going to give birth naturally, and was dead set that a c-section was not in my future. When I was 2 weeks overdue, they decided to induce. I went in and was put on pitocin, only to end the day at 2 centimeters. Talk about a let down! The next day they put this "ballon" thing up into my cervix, which was supposed to dilate me to 3-4 inches. It fell out at 3 about an hour later. They tried breaking my water, I walked around, I tried everything, only for them to come in at the 36th hour and say that I had an infection, and the last thing they can try is an epidural, which would hopefully relax me. I was so against epidurals, but ultimately decided that I'd rather do that than get a c-section. After 2 more hours they told me that I was only 4 centimeters, and baby's head was already getting coned, which meant that the likeliness of him being born naturally was unlikely. I cried and cried and finally came to the understanding that my waiting, and hoping to do things MY way, was causing stress to my baby. I decided to put my big girl panties on and deal with it. I was afraid of so many things like if I'd get to see my baby right away, if I had to be in recovery for an extended period of time ad be away from him, I was afraid that I'd feel the operation, I was scared of so much, but you know what? I'm SO glad I did it & I am looking forward to doing it again! It was so easy, and way quicker than I thought.

The toughest part was the healing, but honestly? I didn't have to deal with my vagina tearing (which I know doesn't happen to everyone, but the fear is real haha), and no matter which way you deliver there is a healing process. This baby will have a scheduled c-section a week before my due, and I can't wait. Sometimes I feel like I missed part of the birthing process, but when you see your baby none of that will matter :)
MaNdYbEaR2010
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:06 AM
3 moms liked this
One, ultrasounds are notorious for giving out wron weight guesstimates. Sometimes they're right, but they're usually NOT. Second, listen to your heart and your body. If there's no true reason for it, then why do it? Of course that's up to you. Good luck in whichever you decide and congratulations on the future birth of your baby.
Numama72
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Thank you :)
There are the other factors that the baby has not dropped and I'm not at all dilated so going with the plan as is....
:)

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010: One, ultrasounds are notorious for giving out wron weight guesstimates. Sometimes they're right, but they're usually NOT. Second, listen to your heart and your body. If there's no true reason for it, then why do it? Of course that's up to you. Good luck in whichever you decide and congratulations on the future birth of your baby.
Numama72
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:18 AM
Oye...that sounds awful :( So, its a blessing mine is scheduled....I need to focus on the positives about it all :) You're right...at the end of the day....how my baby came into the world won't matter :) Thank you for sharing your experience and good luck & congrats on your little one coming too! :)

p.s. I know what you mean about the fear if tearing! That was one of my biggest fears...don't have to worry about that now :)

Quoting TianaH808: When I was pregnant with my son I was the same way. I was convinced that I was going to give birth naturally, and was dead set that a c-section was not in my future. When I was 2 weeks overdue, they decided to induce. I went in and was put on pitocin, only to end the day at 2 centimeters. Talk about a let down! The next day they put this "ballon" thing up into my cervix, which was supposed to dilate me to 3-4 inches. It fell out at 3 about an hour later. They tried breaking my water, I walked around, I tried everything, only for them to come in at the 36th hour and say that I had an infection, and the last thing they can try is an epidural, which would hopefully relax me. I was so against epidurals, but ultimately decided that I'd rather do that than get a c-section. After 2 more hours they told me that I was only 4 centimeters, and baby's head was already getting coned, which meant that the likeliness of him being born naturally was unlikely. I cried and cried and finally came to the understanding that my waiting, and hoping to do things MY way, was causing stress to my baby. I decided to put my big girl panties on and deal with it. I was afraid of so many things like if I'd get to see my baby right away, if I had to be in recovery for an extended period of time ad be away from him, I was afraid that I'd feel the operation, I was scared of so much, but you know what? I'm SO glad I did it & I am looking forward to doing it again! It was so easy, and way quicker than I thought.

The toughest part was the healing, but honestly? I didn't have to deal with my vagina tearing (which I know doesn't happen to everyone, but the fear is real haha), and no matter which way you deliver there is a healing process. This baby will have a scheduled c-section a week before my due, and I can't wait. Sometimes I feel like I missed part of the birthing process, but when you see your baby none of that will matter :)
Numama72
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:20 AM
Thank you! and thank you for the encouragement!! :)

Quoting MaggieO:

I had wanted to go all natural and ended up having a c-section.  I won;t pretend I didn;t have some hard feelngs, but in the end what I was most happy about was having a healthy baby boy.  I was able to BF- no problem.  You will have some healing time, but it's not too bad.  Congratulations on your new baby! 

iHEAVENn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:32 AM

I have no words of encouragement as I will be having a csection eventually...

But best wishes to you and I hope you heal quickly!! :) 

-:Logan Jacob:--:December 1st 2007:--:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- -:My Everything:- 

-:Hunter Xavier:--:EDD 7-12-14:-

baby development

MaNdYbEaR2010
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:25 AM
4 moms liked this

A few things here. First baby? If yes, it's average for a FTM to go into spontaneous labor closer to/after the 41 week mark. Babies to FTMs generally don't engage until ACTIVE labor. And dilation means nothing before labor begins. It means little during labor, considering all women are different and have different labor patterns. Some dilate from 0-10 in less than an hour, and some take two days of active labor to dilate. It's all circumstantial to whether or not you'll go into labor on your own and have a successful normal birth. 

This is coming from a mother that's been there. And I have MANY regrets about my labor/births. I don't want that to happen to you. Question everything and research as much as you can from now until section date. You have a right to birth how you want. Your baby is in no immenent danger, otherwise the section wouldnt't be scheduled. Especially not this far in advance. I really do wish you luck. :) 

Quoting Numama72: Thank you :) There are the other factors that the baby has not dropped and I'm not at all dilated so going with the plan as is.... :)
Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010: One, ultrasounds are notorious for giving out wron weight guesstimates. Sometimes they're right, but they're usually NOT. Second, listen to your heart and your body. If there's no true reason for it, then why do it? Of course that's up to you. Good luck in whichever you decide and congratulations on the future birth of your baby.

esox
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 4:21 AM
I had a c-section and loved it. Granted I had known I would have to have one for the past ten years so I had time to mentally prepare. When a doc told me it was possible to have a vaginal birth I started freaking out. Thankfully my regular OB agreed that a section would be best.
I went in expecting to feel like death when it was over but felt great! I was up and walking around the same day. I didn't even know they had started the surgery until after I heard the doctor say "It's a boy!" It literally took less than 30 minutes for the whole process from getting the spinal placed to being stitched back up and wheeled back to my room with my perfect baby boy in my arms.
I hope you get to have an easy time with your c-section as well if it comes to that point. Good Luck!
JacknJill
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 6:24 AM
I wanted a natural birth and tried. But my pelvic bone was too little. I had a c section. It was worth it in the end! My ultrasound in the hospital also showed that she was 9lbs and turned out she was 6lbs 11oz. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN