Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is a home birth legal?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

This will be baby # 6 for me and i have experienced every kind of birth there is ( No C-Sections) . I hate being trapped in a hospital for 3 days and I was wondering if any of you know how safe it is to have an un-assisted birth at home. Has anyone done this? My labor usually goes really fast and baby is out with no issues. please let me know if its even legal, do you have to call 911 after or just your midwife? home birthing centers are way too expensive as well. I would love some opinions and advice :) None of my births were complicated either

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samsanders
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Why were you in the hospital so long with no complications and a quick birth?

I have no experience with home births but I'm pretty sure they're legal.
Heather2001
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

They are not illegal, no.  Otherwise, any accidental birth would send mom to jail and that would be just silly.  You don't have to call anyone if you and baby are healthy.  I will say that unassisted birth isn't something you just jump into lightly.  There is a lot of research involved including how to recognize and handle emergency situations.  Good luck with whatever decision you make!  =)

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:26 PM
I'm having my 6th home birth and 4th unassisted birth.

It is legal. However, as someone who has had many, I would suggest you make sure you are studied and educated on all the what ifs of birth.

There is no need for 911 unless there's an emergency. If you have a midwife, you can call her and have her on standby, or ask her to stay in another room unless you need her. Many will do that.
Pandapanda
by Amber on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Of course it's legal! There are a few states that make it a royal pain to have a homebirth (like Louisiana), but there is nothing preventing you from going unassited. 

A few things to consider:

How well prepared are you now? What will you do to educate yourself on complications? You need to have a plan for cord prolapse, hemorrhage, shoulder dystocia, breech baby, and fetal resuscitation. If the baby is having trouble after birth, will you be able to provide the necessary medical care until help arrives?

How far away do you live from the nearest fire department or hospital? This is an important factor to consider when deciding on the safety of any homebirth.

FrumpyMama
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM

They are legal. The only issues come about with homebirth midwives. Some states don't allow them to have licences or practice legally. But you can birth at home unassisted no problem. I'd see about hiring a doula though, they might help you out mentally if you or your dh have panic moments. 

cutiepie8611
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM
I want to have a unassisted birth but hubby says no :(
hbritton
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM
Unassisted is legal in every state.

It's having. Midwife that can be tricky depending on your state.
My last homebirth was with an "underground" midwife due to state laws here and
lack of other options.

If you're considering an unassisted birth I would try finding a group of women who understand it and understand birth to talk to.
Read EVERYTHING you can get your hands on sbout dealing with complications.

I think this time I am doing unassisted then transfer ( I tend to be a heavy bleeder).
zandizane
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Unassisted birth is legal in all 50 states. We are planning one in a week or so
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Laws vary by state. Unassisted births take a lot of preparation and self-education. What about hiring a midwife and having a home birth?

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:36 PM
I think your supposed to contact somebody in order to get a BC and SSC but they are legal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)