Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you consider having a close friend be your midwife?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

My wife and I have two children, both adopted. This time we did invetro and I just recently found out I am pregnant with our third.

I want to do a natural home birth and am in search of a midwife who will be supportive of our family. Our good friend (who is also gay and very supportive of us) happens to be a midwife nurse practioner. She offered to be my midwife.

Would this make you uncomfortable?

EDIT: I went to an inital prenatal visit with her simply because I didn't want to wait until I shopped around for a midwife to get "checked out". She did tests and a physical, including a quick breast and pelvic exam. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all, but my wife was. I'm not sure if it's because I work in the medical field and understand that for us, a body is a body.

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Heather2001
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM

No, it'd probably be better, IMO, to have someone you know and trust to attend you during birth.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM
I'd rather a friend attend the birth than a stranger.
Pandapanda
by Amber on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I definitely would! 

LoveMyBug2013
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I would just be careful because compensation may get awkward. 

StaciF
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Doesn't seem weird all. My husband and I are both medical so a lot of the medical professionals that we see are people that each of us know. I think it's a great idea
StaciF
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Doesn't seem weird all. My husband and I are both medical so a lot of the medical professionals that we see are people that each of us know. I think it's a great idea
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM
I would!

But you and your wife should both be comfortable, also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:23 PM

It would depend on the relationship. If you feel that she is professional and trustworthy and you are comfortable with her, go for it! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)