Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what are the labor steps

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM
  • 11 Replies
I'm gonna be 36 weeks Wednesday and I'm just getting anxious and nervous it's my first and I wanna know when labor starts.

So my questions are what are the steps in to going into labor and when I should go to the hospital intime to get that epidural!
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Labor starts differently for everyone and can for every pregnancy. When contractions start to get stronger. closer and over 60 sec or more. I don't know what your hospital policy's are about when to call. Your Dr/OB/midwife should talk about that.

2babys2love
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM
It can very... I started having contractions that weren't painful and I went in (because it was my first and I was excited) to the hospital and they said my cervix was a 3 but that didn't mean anything. so they watched me for awhile and within 2 hrs I was at 4 41/2 so they said I was in labor.

this started at 38 weeks 4 days pregnant at 4pm Feb 4th 2011 and it wasn't til 4am the 5th that the real pain hit and then she was born at 9:02am on the 5th.

but some can be shopping and there water just break with no signs of labor. it just depends on your body. but I promise you.... you will know when its happening!
ManicVetTech
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM

My doc and hospital went by the four-five rule.

Contractions coming every four to five minutes, that lasted at least 45 seconds, for at least 45 minutes before going to labor and delivery. I arrived called the hospital, let them know I would be coming in, took a shower and made some phone calls to various family members before going. I was still a couple hours early for receiving the epidural. 

mcmlx3v
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:49 PM

My OB said to head in either when my water breaks, or whenever I have more than five contractions in an hour.  I still have never actually experienced contractions, but I guess I'll know them when I feel them.  Still, I'll probably head in as soon as I start having contractions, just because this is a new thing and I'd rather spend an extra hour being monitored at the hospital than have something crazy happen at home or work or wherever I might be.  I'm only two days ahead of you... will be 36 weeks tomorrow.  I think they give you the epidural once you have dialted to about 5 cm, so I guess that could be a different length of time for anybody.

cutiepie8611
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:48 PM
My body don't do the step my contractions start at 3 mins apart..
Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM

There's no formula.  I was induced with my first so when I started having contrax at 35w with my 2nd I was worried that I wouldn't know when to go to the hospital.  I reminded myself that things have to get painful and I would have at least a little time to call 911 at the very least, lol!  My OB told me that if I couldn't sleep or talk thru contrax, come in.  Well those contrax never got anymore intense and stopped after 8 hours.

I went into true labor the following week.  The only sign was contrax that got closer together and stronger.  Since they had checked me a couple days before and I was already 3cm, they told me to go to L&D.  Sure enough, it was the real deal and my dd was born the next morning.

I never lost noticeable chunks of plug, no blood, no significant baby drop, no water break, etc. 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

You should take a birth class. There is just so much you really need to know that it can't all be answered here. 

mamaelle88
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Labor started 24 hours after a membrane sweep in office. I was 42 weeks with my first. Labor at home started as cramps, to lower back pain. Nothing helped ease the pain. Walking made them worst, I literally had to get on all 4's and crawl 

Devious103102
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:17 AM

There's no real way to tell you because it's different for everyone. I have a friend that only had leg cramps and when she went in for a checkup it turned out she was in labor. Some things to look out for would be cramps, steady contractions, loose stools, nausea or bloody show. 

wiccanlove92
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:27 AM
My OB says if you're 36 weeks or beyond to head to L&D if your water breaks or you have anything that feels like they might be contractions (feels different for everyone) which are coming 5 minutes or less apart for at least an hour and don't ease up with movement, rest, changing positons or drinking water.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)