Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

high risk for baby having downs syndrome ...questions!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM
  • 6 Replies
Monday I had the fetal abnormality us done to measure the skin fold on the back of baby's neck. It measured 2.9 mm .My Ob doctor said they would like to see a measurement of 3mm or less, so with it being 2.9 it was normal but high.. I then had a blood draw to compare with the u/s the risk of downs syndrome. I just recieved a call from their office saying the blood work does indicate there is a high risk of downs syndrome. I am terrified!! I have to go for a level 2 ultrasound at a different hospital within the next 10 days. Ladies, I need hope..... Statistics...advice....... Hugs...... Has this happened to anyone else and the baby turn out fine? Please reply asap!!!!!! Or even text my cell phone 9377639134 thanks in advance!
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Smoore922
by Samantha on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Would you love your baby any less if he/she did have down syndrome? If you'll love them the same (as  I would), just breathe.  I am sorry and understand completely your worries and fear.. I strongly believe everything happens for a reason. I hope everything turns out alrght mama! **hugs**<3

Tenderheart3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM

OH  please don't worry.  With my first pregnancy I had the same blood test and I was high risk for having a baby with down syndrome.  On top of that they found a cyst in my baby's brain when they did the ultrasound. The doctor recommended that I have an amnio to verify whether the test was accurate.  The results from the amino can back normal, which meant my baby did not have down syndrome.  Those blood test don't mean that you will have a baby with down syndrome. They compare your blood with other women(statistics). Your blood is just different.  Different is fine.

Also,  I did another ultrasound about a couple of weeks later and the cyst that was on my baby's brain went away.  I was so thankful to God. I did a lot praying.  My  daughter is now almost 12 years old and she is perfectly healthy and  brilliant.  It's going to be OK

Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM

those tests are not the most accurate... would you love baby any less?

PeppyInPink
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:48 PM
I never had the year before & am not interested in them. I have a cousin with downs & think people with downs are wonderful people. If I had a child with it I would just do some .. or lots of research to best know how to care for my child and try to find resources to help my child and I be the best we can.
NYnewmom81214
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I am 21 weeks as of Tuesday and my NT came back as 1 in 135 for Downs syndrome. When we did the anomaly u/s there was a brighter bowel area which led us to having the Maternit21 test done. The doctor said that this test is 99% accurate. That was almost 2 weeks ago. I see my regular O/B on Friday and hope that she has the results for both that test as well as the blood test for CF. My boyfriend and I have both agreed that we are going to wait for these results and if they come back that the baby will likely have downs then we are okay with that. Neither of us are for abortion so that is not even an option for us. So far all the heartbeats have been good. I usually get really upset when the doctor is telling me that she is going to have downs.  If you need to talk more just send me a message. 

LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Don't worry yourself about that test because they're not the most accurate.
Besides, even if your baby does have it, it doesn't mean that your baby can't grow to have a normal, productive life as many others with downs, do.

Just breathe and don't go worrying about it, until it's down that your baby has it or doesn't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)