Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

?? **** update on insurance

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM
  • 10 Replies
I know I do a lot of post on here but I'm really debating on if I should get secondary health insurance. My best friend told me that I could still get insurance though the state if I'm pregnant. I'm on my dh insurance though his work but I'm so scared of the bill that's going to come. Right now we live pay check to pay check we have some money saved but not very much. And I know a lot of you are going to judge me for not waiting till were more financially stable. But I'm wondering as any one else don't this? And do anyone around how much it cost them with insurance? (I do know my insurance pays 85% of my bills but I know u also go to the doctors a lot and when I was pregnant w my dd I was hospitalized for a week w ammonia at 22 weeks and I'm so scared financially)

***** update I went to the health department and talked to the state insurance lady and she said that she hasnt seen any one get turned down for secondary state insurance for a pregnancy but she has seen them not pay %100 of what ever your your primary insurance doesn't covers. I went ahead and applied I should know by next week and it will also back date to the first of the month
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I had Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arkansas, paying $80.00 per week for my health insurance. My co-pays were so high tht my first ultrasound still cost me over $400 out of pocket.

I didn't know I could still apply for Medicaid if I had other insurance ...

Pipersmom1988
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM
OMGosh $400 that's my whole year savings lol!!!! I have united health care but through my dh job. Yea I didn't know that either but my best friends sisters friend has both because she pregnant and couldn't afford the bill to come.

Quoting KREX0914:

I had Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arkansas, paying $80.00 per week for my health insurance. My co-pays were so high tht my first ultrasound still cost me over $400 out of pocket. I didn't know I could still apply for Medicaid if I had other insurance ...

PeppyInPink
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd just apply and see the outcome
Smoore922
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Just apply if you really need it, you should be approved (SHOULD be) I don't know how it works for you there but here our pa system blows... You only get help if you're not trying at all or are a drug addict of some sort... (Just my personal experience)

Good luck with everything, if you can't get approved, try setting up long term payment plans with the doctor/hospital. They will usually take whatever you can pay and as long as you are paying it they will continue to let you make those payments... :)

MorriganzMommy
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

When I was pregnant with DD 8 years ago I carried the health insurance. Because I went on early bedrest and my insurance company was being ass$&%*s I lost my insurance because they didn't think my loosing weight (being under weight to begin with) was concern enough to get out of work a month early. regardless of what my doctor thought. So I picked up the state insurance (which is the model for the affordable care act, Masshealth) and both insurances actually paid due to the fact my insurance still had an obligation to pay for my "preexisting condition" thanks to Massachusetts laws. This is now federal law thanks to the affordable care act so you may be able to pick up your states health insurance to offset the cost. They will bill your primary insurance then the state insurance. Just apply and see what happens. If you have questions then you should call, there is a number on the internet just search it.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
november117
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I carried private insurance and medicaid with my last pregnancy. They will bill privaTe first.
Rosehawk
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM

I have both United Healthcare (hubby's job) and state insurance. What the primary doesn't pay, the secondary will. It may be different from state to state though.

It never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no.

Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I know in Michigan you pretty much automatically qualify if you're pregnant. Many people get it as a secondary insurance. Myself included, I have united health and medicade as 2nd for this pregnancy.
WillsMOM72
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:41 AM
I only had medicaid and it paid everything. I couldn't afford private insurance here, It was to expensive here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)