Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Advice: Baby sharing room w/ older siblings?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM
  • 15 Replies

I need some advice. Between my husband and I we have a total of 6 kids and #7 (a girl) arriving in July. We have a large 5 bedroom house, but obviously some of the kids share a room. With the new baby coming we are trying to decide where she will sleep.

#6 (a boy) will be 23 mos when the new babies comes. If I put the new baby in there, every time she baby cries it will wake up the 23 mo old and we know toddlers aren't easy to get back to sleep. If I put her in the room with the 2 older girls (age 11 & 6) then they will probably wake the baby up when they go to bed at 8:30pm and wake up early in the AM for school. We don't have another bedroom for her to have her own room.

I am contemplating just having the baby in our room for the 1st year then worrying about it later, but DH and I usually watch tv for an hour before bed and get our things ready for the next day so it would probably disrupt our routine/alone time and wake her up too.

Does anyone else have experience with the logistics of kids sharing rooms with infants and/or toddlers? What worked, what didn't?  Help!!!!

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaNickelatti
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM
We bedshare and co slepp for quite awhile because it is easier for nursing. #2 and #3 will share a room eventually though and they will be about 29 months apart.
Pipersmom1988
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Have you thought of maybe moving the toddler to a different room for now till the baby gets use to sleep through the night right now we plan on sharing a room w the baby the first few months (not in bed with us in a bassinet) then moving the baby in the same room w my dd who's 3 year old.
Decemberlov
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I would say put the baby in with the youngest. I know you think this will wake him up and at first that may be true but he will get use to it and eventually sleep through it.

my daughter was 2 1/2 when her sister came home from the hospital and they started sharing a room. she woke up a few nights in the beginning but after that she slept through everything! kids adapt to things. honestly I think it made them both great sleepers! they will sleep through just about anything!
StaciF
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Honestly I've found kids and baby adapt - my last two babies have shared a room with an older child and the older child has been able to sleep through baby crying and me nursing at night and baby has learned to sleep through older child getting up - it did help to lay out clothes in the other room so older sibling only had to get up and quietly leave room. Usually the first 6-9 months have been no problem - somewhere around 9-12 months my babies seem to not sleep as soon and wake easier with other noise (we keep fans for sound in the rooms) so we seem to flip flop rooms around then. FX it works out!!
Larsbug
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

if she's in your room just go about your regular routine...she will get use to it and it won't be any different. DS2 shared with us for the first year and we did things as normal, he got use to it and never woke up

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM

My brothers are 16 months apart each. When the last was born the others were only 1 and 3 (I was 9). All four of us shared a room with the baby, and we somehow managed to survive, thought I for the life of my have no idea how.

smurfy88
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:21 PM
I would have baby room share with you. I have a 6 year old DD and having a boy in July. We have a 2 bedroom apt right now and are room sharing with baby, my 6 year old doesn't want a boy in her room and she has so much stuff that there is no room for him anyways.
kajira
by Emma on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:23 PM

i always co sleep for the first 2-3 years. I don't see how you can't make it work.

You could always convert a garage, or a porch into another bedroom too.... O.o or buy a bigger house.

Firenygirl180
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:29 PM
My oldest has never been woken up by the baby and he's never woken the baby up. I'd assume if baby is in a different room that you'd either be able to hear baby or have a monitor for when baby wakes. You should be able to get to baby fast enough to prevent your older child fun waking.

They adjust pretty easily. my oldest turns 3 in June, my youngest just turned 1 and baby is due in September and all three will be sharing a room. This gives them a clean, calm room to sleep in and a messy, crowded room to play in. Once they get older whichever we only have 1 of will get their own room and the other 2 will share
MammaKoi
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Were sharing the first year our son and he slept through a lot, still does. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)