Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Question about when the doctor measures your belly.

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM
  • 30 Replies
Ok when I was 24 weeks the doctor said I was measuring right on track went to my appointment yesterday I am 28 weeks and she told me I was measuring at 30 and said that is fine then looked for the HB which she found. Since I am measuring ahead does that mean I am going to deliver early or that I am going to have a big baby? Anybody measure ahead and still have a small baby or go into labor earlier then your due date? With my DD I don't remember my measurements but I did go into labor 9 days early (I had the stomach bug the day before I had her I think I went into labor with her because I was dehydrated from the flu) and she was 7lbs. 7.9oz. Also I gained 7lbs. in one month which brings me to 21lbs. I have gained in 28 weeks. With my DD I only gained 30lbs. total.
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

measuring 2cm for how many weeks you are is 'normal' and doesn't mean big or little baby -they just want to see consistent progress :)

JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Nah, I always measured ahead starting in my 3rd trimester. My son was born on his due date and was 8lbs 3oz, which is totally average. :)
RADmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM
It's honestly nothing!

I measured 3 to 5 weeks ahead with both of my girls. Everything was fine & they were perfectly healthy... That's just how my body grows!
MrsErdos2011
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM
It means nothing. I'm 33 weeks and have been measuring 4 weeks further along until my appointment yesterday. Yesterday I measured a week ahead
kaybayblee3
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM

I measured two weeks ahed with all my pregnancies. But I had big babies lol

lauren.m
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM
I always measure a little behind. They just like to see that you are getting bigger at each appointment.
kailu1835
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I always measured two weeks ahead after the halfway mark.  I wouldn't worry too much.

Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Don't read much into it. It doesn't factor into much. I measured way ahead with my first and he was big but not huge. I measured right on track with my dd and she was also big for her gestational age when she was born. This baby was always measuring 2 weeks ahead and since about 32w i'm measuring right on target. It can just fluctuate...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alshink
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I measured a week behind and my son was born 4 days before his due date and only weighed 6 pounds 4 ounces. And I gained 50 pounds...

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Up to 2 cm is normal. With all mine I measured ahead. My first two were small and came early. My third came after her estimate due date and was over 2lbs and 2" longer then here sisters.

There are so many things that can factor into measuring. Human error, extra fluid or less fluid, where baby is, where the uterus is, where the placenta is and other things too. You got to remember it's just an estimated guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN