Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone else ever have a retained placenta???

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:26 PM
  • 12 Replies

I've given birth 4 times - single, single, twins, single- and with the last 2 births the placenta wouldn't come out on its own.

After delivering my first set of twins, the doctor was up to her elbow inside me, detaching it manually because it wouldn't come out. Worst pain EVER.

Then the same thing happened with my last baby but this doctor was a little more relaxed and gentle about it. He tugged GENTLY, rubbed and pushed on my belly and gently tugged at the cord until it finally detached. But he was at the point he was considering taking me for SURGERY to get it out! It was scary.

So now I'm expecting twins again and I'm afraid it will happen again since it's happened the last 2 times.

Anyone else have experience with this?

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Scary! I never had a problem like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hbritton
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My placentas take an hour+ to detach.

It sounds like your doctors are overly invasive, pulling on the placenta isn't necessary.

WundrWmn
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Yes! With my first son, i had a c-section. I spiked a fever and was still bleeding very heavily about a week after being home. I went in to my dr's office and he examined me. He has said I had retained placenta. He was able to pull the chunk right out via my cervix with a clamp, I guess it wasn't big enough to require surgery. The worst part was he left the giant blob in a dish bedside my bed when he left he room and told me to get dressed so I got to look at it... I was given a script for antibiotics and sent home.
Heather2001
by Heather on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM

How long did they wait before maunally removing it?!!?  Sometimes it can take quite a while to detach and docs tend to get pushy if it isn't out in 15-20 minutes.

Curlgurl
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Fairly often they are forced to rush it a bit because the mom is bleeding due to the uterus not being able to clamp down like it should. It's not always docs being impatient. Especially for someone like the OP who is at greater risk for hemorrhage due to having had several children and especially with twins when your uterus is over distended.
BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:23 AM

I didnt have a retained placenta, but my uterus stayed soft and I started hemmoragging, so the OB went elbow deep in me to get my uterus to clamp and scoop out blood clots. Yeah, it is painful. My OB did mention that placentas with extra "lobes" tend to get left behind. Could you have extra lobes? Sorry if that doesn't make sense. 

hbritton
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:02 AM
Quoting Curlgurl: Fairly often they are forced to rush it a bit because the mom is bleeding due to the uterus not being able to clamp down like it should. It's not always docs being impatient. Especially for someone like the OP who is at greater risk for hemorrhage due to having had several children and especially with twins when your uterus is over distended.

II hemorrhage after every birth, that starts once the placenta is detached.
The placenta site is where the blood comes from.

Ripping out the placenta is one of the number one causes for maternal hemorrhage.
doulala
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Why are they pulling?
How long are the doctors waiting?      Hours? 

Mom2five87
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM
With ny last baby it cane out after about 50 minutes. I'd say 20-25 of those minutes the doctor was pulling.

Quoting doulala:

Why are they pulling?How long are the doctors waiting?      Hours? 

doulala
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Did they say there was a reason they felt a need to intervene early?

Quoting Mom2five87: With ny last baby it cane out after about 50 minutes. I'd say 20-25 of those minutes the doctor was pulling.
Quoting doulala:

Why are they pulling?How long are the doctors waiting?      Hours? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)