Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Did You Test Your Baby Swing First?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 10 Replies

Last night I put together the "Graco Glider Petite LX Gliding Swing - Lexi."
I tested it out on the lowest setting with DD's baby doll. The doll was shaking all over the place and almost completely fell out of the swing more than once. I was concerned and immediately decided I need to return it.

Well ... I just received this text message from my aunt:
"This is about 8 pounds.
Note the use of the safety features ...
Still too light to use on 6 but she would have to be heavier for that speed anyways. Settings 1 & 2 are cool"

I was at work when I got this and couldn't stop laughing!

by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:36 PM

did you read the instructions? it gives weight recommendations for each setting...I wouldn't have returned it because of the baby doll, they weigh nothing and have nothing to do with an actual baby weight.

Your aunt is hilarious!

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM

The instructions were useless. The lefts and rights were backwards and the pictures didn't match what was in the box.

Plus it had one instruction booklet for 3 different kinds of swings ... "Step 1: If you have ABC ... OR if you have JKL ... OR if you have XYZ... Step 2: If you have ABC ... OR if you have JKL ... OR if you have XYZ... "

I think she used the bag of sugar as her funny way of showing me that it needed weight to not make the baby doll fall out :)

Quoting Larsbug:

did you read the instructions? it gives weight recommendations for each setting...I wouldn't have returned it because of the baby doll, they weigh nothing and have nothing to do with an actual baby weight.

Your aunt is hilarious!

wiccanlove92
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM

LOL I wouldnt have even thought to return the swing because of a baby doll because they tend to weight about 1 - 2 lbs each and I dont know of any newborns who are that small and not in the NICU. When I was getting ready for my 2 year old to be born we often used my parents 14 lb mini poodle to test baby stuff. She was put in everything we actually had to assemble ourselves to make sure it was sturdy/built correctly and luckily she didnt mind. Now that Im having number 2 I used my 2 year old to test the strength of the crib after my husband put it back together and made hubby get approximately 8 lbs worth of stuff to put in a bag and test the swing and bouncy chair 

Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM

interesting... usually Graco is a pretty good about that sort of thing. anyways, yes with weight baby will be fine...the problem with a baby doll is they weigh basically nothing lol

Quoting KREX0914:

The instructions were useless. The lefts and rights were backwards and the pictures didn't match what was in the box. Plus it had one instruction booklet for 3 different kinds of swings ... "Step 1: If you have ABC ... OR if you have JKL ... OR if you have XYZ... Step 2: If you have ABC ... OR if you have JKL ... OR if you have XYZ... "I think she used the bag of sugar as her funny way of showing me that it needed weight to not make the baby doll fall out :)

Quoting Larsbug:

Your aunt is hilarious!

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I bought everything from Graco for both of my kids. I guess if out of maybe 20 products that was the first installation issue, then I should be grateful.

Honestly, the weight issue didn't even dawn on me. I just remember thinking "this looks about the size of a real baby ..."

Quoting Larsbug:

interesting... usually Graco is a pretty good about that sort of thing. anyways, yes with weight baby will be fine...the problem with a baby doll is they weigh basically nothing lol

Quoting KREX0914:

The instructions were useless. The lefts and rights were backwards and the pictures didn't match what was in the box. Plus it had one instruction booklet for 3 different kinds of swings ... "Step 1: If you have ABC ... OR if you have JKL ... OR if you have XYZ... Step 2: If you have ABC ... OR if you have JKL ... OR if you have XYZ... "I think she used the bag of sugar as her funny way of showing me that it needed weight to not make the baby doll fall out :)

Quoting Larsbug:

Your aunt is hilarious!

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I'm going to blame it on pregnancy brain, but for some reason I was more concerned about my "test baby" being the right length instead of the right weight ... Blonde moment, perhaps?

Quoting wiccanlove92:

LOL I wouldnt have even thought to return the swing because of a baby doll because they tend to weight about 1 - 2 lbs each and I dont know of any newborns who are that small and not in the NICU. When I was getting ready for my 2 year old to be born we often used my parents 14 lb mini poodle to test baby stuff. She was put in everything we actually had to assemble ourselves to make sure it was sturdy/built correctly and luckily she didnt mind. Now that Im having number 2 I used my 2 year old to test the strength of the crib after my husband put it back together and made hubby get approximately 8 lbs worth of stuff to put in a bag and test the swing and bouncy chair 

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM
We don't use swings
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wiccanlove92
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I would just blame pregnancy brain! You wanna test weight not length because the safety of the swing depends more on how much baby weighs. 

Quoting KREX0914:

I'm going to blame it on pregnancy brain, but for some reason I was more concerned about my "test baby" being the right length instead of the right weight ... Blonde moment, perhaps?

Quoting wiccanlove92:

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Is there a particular reason or just because they are an "extra?"

We don't use toothpicks. They aren't even allowed in the house. My little brother fell on a box of toothpicks when he was little and had to go to the ER to get a few removed from his knee. I despise them now.

Quoting kmqw229: We don't use swings

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Because my first two didn't like it, so we didn't have one for our 3rd & not getting one this time around.

Quoting KREX0914:

Is there a particular reason or just because they are an "extra?"We don't use toothpicks. They aren't even allowed in the house. My little brother fell on a box of toothpicks when he was little and had to go to the ER to get a few removed from his knee. I despise them now.

Quoting kmqw229: We don't use swings

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)